Go to footer

Peter Mayhew

The place for those OT discussions that you just HAVE to share in a doll themed forum.

Peter Mayhew

Postby Kirahfaye » Fri May 03, 2019 5:56 am

The first time I saw Peter was at my second DragonCon. He was hard to miss, even in that crowd, standing above most of the costumed attendees. He was one of the few Star Wars actors to regularly attend D*C. Anyway, this was back when he still smoked and he (and I believe his wife, Angie) were outside one of the hotels under a covered drive trying to enjoy a quick cigarette break. My daughter and I walked past and I noticed that he graciously posed for photos, signed a few pictures and talked to everyone that came up to him. We just smiled as we walked by and he smiled back, that way he did that could light up sunshine. Our paths crossed a few more times both that D*C and others (I never have gone to any of the autograph sessions). He always had that fantastic smile.

I understand he dealt with the pains that often come with being so very tall, especially as he got older. And he had other medical issues, but he was such an inspiration, so determined to let his fans know how much he loved them.

I can't help but think that Peter and Carrie are together, getting into just a little bit of trouble.

Rest in Peace, Peter. We love you.
Last edited by Kirahfaye on Sat May 04, 2019 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Re: Peter Mayhew

Postby davidd » Fri May 03, 2019 9:15 pm

How nice that you have some direct, personal memories of an actor who, although hidden completely from view in his costume, created and embodied through his performances an iconic character who has been a part of the lives of many of us since our childhoods.
davidd
the walls have dolliehs

Postby victoriavictrix » Fri May 03, 2019 10:55 pm

When Peter came to a con in Tulsa we were going to, we were assigned to the table next to him. Larry decided that THIS con he was not going to have to deal with crap folding chairs. We loaded up a heavily upholstered lounge chair and cinderblocks, and on arriving at the con, put the chair on the cinderblocks for him. He was so grateful!

He was in a lot of pain the last ten years, but he never let it show, and was always kind and gracious to every fan he ever met.
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby SetsunaKou » Sat May 04, 2019 5:27 am

victoriavictrix wrote:When Peter came to a con in Tulsa we were going to, we were assigned to the table next to him. Larry decided that THIS con he was not going to have to deal with crap folding chairs. We loaded up a heavily upholstered lounge chair and cinderblocks, and on arriving at the con, put the chair on the cinderblocks for him. He was so grateful!

He was in a lot of pain the last ten years, but he never let it show, and was always kind and gracious to every fan he ever met.

Wow, VV-sama! That was so thoughtful and considerate of you and Larry-san to think of that for him!! Bravo to you both!!! What a wonderful kindness you did for him!!! :hugs:
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Kirahfaye » Sat May 04, 2019 9:18 am

Ah, so that's what Larry meant about Peter's recliner still being in your living room. LOL. I bet he was so appreciative!
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby K2! » Sat May 04, 2019 4:42 pm

I have had no personal experiences with any famous actors. But just from pictures and interviews, I could tell Peter Mayhew was one of those actors who enjoyed himself, his situation, and his fans. No attitude, no big ego, just happy to be where he was.
Thank you Peter. You will be remembered fondly.
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Return to Board index

Return to Let's Talk!