Go to footer

DON'T WANT IT!

The place for those OT discussions that you just HAVE to share in a doll themed forum.

DON'T WANT IT!

Postby DollyKim » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:00 pm

Mom- sees the neighbors are throwing out their kids' dolls, if I don't go thru them now will never hear the end of it, mom doesn't understand why my "doll friends" don't want dirty, broken, ratty Barbies and Monsters/EAH missing parts.

Because if there was a special Barbie face mold in there I'd be fixing her up myself.

I am so glad my grandmother didn't live to see my custom doll phase because she'd go out of her way to be butt hurt for the rest of her life if I didn't take some knock off dollar store doll that smells like cat pee and always be playing with it around her.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Re: DON'T WANT IT!

Postby embyquinn » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:19 pm

I feel your pain. I know few doll people in my general area (like 150 mile radius); to most people, a doll is a doll is a doll, period. I'm a staunch defender of Barbie, but I'll be the first to admit that 90 percent of Barbies are practically disposable dolls, not at all built to last, certainly not at a five or six-year-old's play level. That's why they make and sell so many of the damned things.

I dunno, though...it might be fun to rescue some of the MH/EAH dolls just to see what you can Frankendoll with the pieces parts.
"Dolls love to be played with. They are lonesome if you leave them always in a box. How would you like to be left day after day alone, with no one to love you?"
embyquinn
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Den » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:19 pm

I would go dumpster diving for MH/EAH dolls even with missing parts. When they were popular, I was too broke and homeless to afford to get them, so I've had to hit up Evilbay and also got gifted one of the guy dolls from a friend. I also keep an eye out at thrift stores. Even broken or missing parts, they're still good bait for customs.
Den
i see dead dolliehs

Postby WhiteDove01s » Sun May 31, 2020 8:38 pm

Broken dolls to OOAK are my favorite to get, because I don't feel like I'm ruining something by messing with it. While I'm sorry your mom doesn't understand that you don't like salvage, I kind of wish more people tried to rehome these dolls - yes, even the broken ones, or the ones missing bits, or the hoards of Stepford Smiler TNT barbie, or the one some three year old drew on with marker. People like me who like the challenge of fixing damaged dolls can't do that if most of the ones in the condition I like to have fun with end up in a landfill instead.

Maybe next time box 'em up and offer them as a "TLC/for parts/repair" lot on E-bay? And then use the funds to buy yourself something you want.
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
Check out my 1/6 scale fabrics on Spoonflower!
http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/playscalefabric?rec=true
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:57 am

Shortest answer online selling and I are in discussion.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Return to Board index

Return to Let's Talk!