Go to footer

Accidentally adopted a new kitten?

The place for those OT discussions that you just HAVE to share in a doll themed forum.

Accidentally adopted a new kitten?

Postby Kattriella » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:51 pm

Quick bit of information, I live with my mother and grandparents, despite being almost 26. There's a story behind that for another time.

So today (technical yesterday now, as it's after midnight, but insomnia cares not for times and dates), my mother went to warm up her car before she went to work. We have had cats my entire life, she she always bangs on the hood of her car before starting it to spook out any furry passengers. Well, much to her shock when she did it today (yesterday), a tiny ball of fur crawled out. And it wasn't our cat. It was an orange/yellow tabby, approximately 4 months old by our estimates based on its size, and very vocal about its decision to stay with us when she brought it inside.

Now, here's where the problem begins. We have another cat already, Tori, who is around three and a half. She is not taking to this kitten AT ALL. She actually seems terrified of it, as she's been hiding from it for hours. But it seems to really like her and want to see her. Much hissing and growling ensued.

Anybody have any tips on how to make this transition a little easier, as we really don't know what else to do with it? It's clearly been around people before, but it was so scrawny and hungry that we don't know how long it's been off on it's own, or how it ended up that way, and we can't exactly just put it back where it came from, so we've sort of ended up with it by default. So far, none of the neighbors know whose it is either.
Kattriella
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Re: Accidentally adopted a new kitten?

Postby Stormlight » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:17 am

Maybe keep the kitten in a separate room for a few days and introduce the cats little by little. Or give the older cat her own “safe space” to keep away from newbie until she feels more comfortable. It might take a bit but they’ll probably warm up eventually.
Stormlight

Postby DollyKim » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:39 am

We recently added a kitten to our household and the teenaged queen of the house hissed and growled for awhile then they slowly warmed up to each other.

Hissing and growling is normal with the older cat(s) making sure the kitten knows its place. As long as they're just having words it should work out. Add another litter box and feeding place if you can.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Kattriella » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:07 pm

Update: The cat has been dubbed "Pumpkin" (or "Punkin") by my grandfather.

Thanks for all the advice, guys. Hopefully, it helps.

As of right now, the kitten isn't allowed in my bedroom. That's where Tori sleeps most nights, so that's where I decided to make her safe space. We've already set up a second litter box and food. Now it's just a matter of waiting, I guess.
Kattriella

Postby Den » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:43 pm

Can we get pics?
Den
i see dead dolliehs

Postby Kattriella » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:05 pm

Den wrote:Can we get pics?

Getting her to sit still for pics isn't easy, but I'll try.
Kattriella

Postby DollyKim » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:06 pm

Hold a toy by the camera to get her attention and put the camera on automatic or the race car setting.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Kattriella » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:43 am

After much trying, I managed to get a decent picture:

That thing behind her is a Christmas ornament she stole off the tree.
Kattriella

Postby DollyKim » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:00 pm

pss pss pss
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Let's Talk!