Go to footer

Getting Though the Next Couple of Weeks UPDATE 2/20

The place for those OT discussions that you just HAVE to share in a doll themed forum.

Getting Though the Next Couple of Weeks UPDATE 2/20

Postby Kirahfaye » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:59 am

My mom continues to decline rapidly. Even she is aware of it - when she can focus more normally. I'm not going to lie, I'm scared. I'm scared about a lot of things: from finances to treatment to the impact on my family. (My mom made a very upsetting, and false, claim over the weekend that stems from a hallucination or vivid dream that could put a family member in serious jeopardy.) Just 2 weeks ago I would have told you she had a good year until this started. I don't see it going back to how it was at this point.

We took her to the ER on Saturday because she was acting erratic and we were concerned she could have had a mini stroke. All of the tests came back negative, but she had a episode there where she was frantically yanking at the rings too small to get over her knuckles and the doctor ended up giving her a sedative to calm her. Yesterday was very bad, although by nightfall she was better - kind of the opposite of what I understand about "sundowning". I've begun to senior proof the house. I've put door handle covers on the front door and the pantry. Last night she insisted on trying to give one of our dogs snacks even after she was told not to. I literally had to move her away from the pantry door. I also have cabinet locks to install.

I can't get in to see the elder care lawyer until next week or her neurologist until this Friday. We have an appt for a second opinion on her colon surgery in 2 weeks. I'm terrified of having her go through surgery and having anesthesia. Not going through it means continuing and probably increasing pain and bleeding as well as worsening incontinence...

Anyway, I appreciate being able to vent a little here.
Last edited by Kirahfaye on Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Re: Trying to Get Though the Next Couple of Weeks

Postby kenaiqueen » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:10 pm

I'm so sorry this is all happening. It sounds like your appointments will at least give you some pointers on how to proceed. Sending you many good thoughts and vibes. *hugs!*
Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD.
kenaiqueen
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Stormlight » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:28 pm

I’m so sorry to hear about your mom. I really hope things ease out and get a little better for you. Losing a parent is always hard, but it must be so much harder to watch them decline like this. :(
Stormlight
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby richila » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:59 am

{{{HUGS}}}
richila
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby Iwa_Hoshi » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:55 pm

*hugs
Please take care.
Team of Dolls Bio Team of Dolls on Flickr
Keeping an eye out for props for Dioramas
Iwa_Hoshi
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby maywong » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:50 am

Hugs!
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby SetsunaKou » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:07 pm

Oh, KirahFaye-san! :hugs: I can imagine how hard it is for you right now---in every way. :cries:

Please know, I'll be praying for you, your mom, and your whole family! God bless you!!
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby victoriavictrix » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:29 am

I know how hard this is for you.

I also know that given the choice between this and the way my mother died (unexpectedly, and I never got a chance to say goodbye), I'd take this.
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Kirahfaye » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:51 am

Thanks to all of you. Yesterday was so hard I was barely on the computer the entire day. I really don't think I can survive too many days like that. Dementia isn't of the devil - it IS the devil. She was so difficult and mean, even, that I was nearly in tears and honestly, quite angry, much of the day.

This afternoon we see the neurologist. She's having a good morning and I'm not sure if I'm happy or disappointed.... I want him to see her as she's been the past couple of weeks, but I'm also so emotionally worn out and stressed, that I'm grateful for the "normal" moments. It could be Ms. Hyde by the time we get home.

Oh, and I have been keeping a journal of sorts over the past couple of weeks to show the doctor. Plus my daughter has her appt so if he wants confirmation, she and her partner can add their experiences, too.
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye

Postby Kirahfaye » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:18 pm

Annnd - as we were locking the door to get into the car for the appt, I got a call from their office that their computers were down and we needed to reschedule our appts to next week.

Naturally, as soon as my mom got settled back in her room she started having tremors. I got approval to get her another 1/2 of the pill she takes for tremors, but she keeps begging to go to the hospital. It's not a emergency so I'm not taking her. This. Is. So. Hard.
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Let's Talk!