Go to footer

BE A REAL HERO: Sew facemasks for EMTs and Nurses

The place for those OT discussions that you just HAVE to share in a doll themed forum.

BE A REAL HERO: Sew facemasks for EMTs and Nurses

Postby victoriavictrix » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:56 pm

Pattern PDF

https://www.craftpassion.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/face-mask-pattern-1.pdf

Tutorial

https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/?pid=1258#picgallery

If there is no distribution point for your area, Jo Ann Fabrics is accepting masks for distribution.
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Re: BE A REAL HERO: Sew facemasks for EMTs and Nurses

Postby victoriavictrix » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:38 pm

These masks only stop about 40% of the virus, but that's better than the NOTHING many EMTs and nurses are being asked to (not) use.

Also hand them out to delivery drivers and grocery store clerks who are also getting NOTHING to protect them.
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Kirahfaye » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:37 am

I don't have a sewing machine, but this was on the morning news locally. I'm sure there are others across the country. These are used as covers for the N95 masks so that each one will last longer.

Covid Covers Facebook Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/260385014961418/
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby ghostdollie » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:41 pm

We started doing it to support our hospice nurse neighbor, and she was overwhelmingly thankful. We are next going to make them for the clerks at the local dollar grocery store.
ghostdollie
i see dead dolliehs

Postby zirconmermaid » Sun May 03, 2020 11:51 am

Scoundrelle has been making them at our studio, and I have been crocheting ear savers.
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby K2! » Tue May 05, 2020 8:42 am

In case you were wondering...
Particle respirators trap particles by 2 means; first is how tightly the material is woven, which regulates the size of openings for air to pass through. Second is a static electric charge. This static electric charge is literally woven in during manufacturing.

The ratings on these masks have a letter (N, R, or P) and a number. The letter rates the masks resistance to solid and liquid airborne oil particles. Oil may reduce or dissipate the static charge.
N masks are not resistant to oil.
R masks are resistant to oil but will wear out or become clogged by oil particles and should not be worn more than 8 hours in the presence of oil in the air.
P masks are considered oil proof but will degrade over time. Duration should be checked with the manufacturer for a specific mask.

The most common numbers associated with these masks are 95, 99, and 100. This refers to the percentage of particles 0.3 microns or larger filtered by the mask. Therefore 95 is 95% and 99 is 99%. 100 is considered 99.7%.

Some masks have a little plastic attachment on them. This is a one way valve that allows exhalations to be expelled from behind the mask with less pressure than being pushed through the filter portion of the mask. These valves do not affect the filtering capabilities of the mask.

Coronavirus particles are spheres with diameters of approximately 0.125 microns. The smallest particles are about 0.06 microns, and the largest are about 0.14 microns.
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Return to Board index

Return to Let's Talk!