Go to footer

YIKES! You spent HOW MUCH on WHAT?

The place for those OT discussions that you just HAVE to share in a doll themed forum.

YIKES! You spent HOW MUCH on WHAT?

Postby absynthe1972 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:11 pm

I am finding out that my 1st true love is going to be as expensive, if not more so, than dolliehs! I found my husband's Pentax K1000 camera. OMG. I fell in love with her AGAIN! (Her name is Baby. Yes, I know. It's not a very original name but she IS my first baby!)

Before getting a battery for Baby, I stopped at Goodwill and purchased a 25 year old Konica auto-focus camera (400 ISO max) and probably what is possibly a 20 or so year old Kalimar camera with a plastic body and plastic lens. Both take pretty decent photos...considering I've not worked with film since 1992. (I used to roll my own film and develop both film and prints using T-Maxx b/w film. I *think* it was 200ISO but it's been so many years, I don't really remember anymore.)

So...I've been playing around with cameras and not dolliehs. Then I went crazy and ordered a Pop Cam camera with four lenses that go off consecutively. What's even better? There are four primary color filters over each lens in the camera. Totally a toy camera...but wth, right? Getting an Andy Warhol effect with a camera and it's all four shots are on the same photo? How much better can it get, right?

Then I discovered Lomography and HOLGAS! I'm IN LOVE! I can't wait to get my hands on a Holga with a fish eye and a macro lens. I've got the halogen lights all set up. I have the b/w film (Kodak b/w 400CN). Then again, this weekend, I'll do a few shoots of the resin gang with the Pentax (it's a 18-50mm lens).

Took the Pentax out to our local cemetery today and took some interesting shots. Can't wait to see how well I did. (I remembered to wear my contacts this morning so hopefully everything is in focus.)

I see I've missed a ton of stuff around here. I tend to rediscover old lovers (yes, film and photography to me is a passion) and then coo them and tell them sweet nothings so they'll talk to me again. So far, I'm hearing very nice things from the Pentax. Can't wait to introduce her to the resin kids.

Photos to come in the near future.

Hope to see everyone soon!
My what big EYES you have!
absynthe1972
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Re: YIKES! You spent HOW MUCH on WHAT?

Postby richila » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:53 am

My husband said I can't have a Holga until I spend some time learning to use my DSLR properly. I had forgotten how much I love photography until I started photographing dolls. Before that, it had been 10 years or more since I had picked up a camera on a regular basis. We had a darkroom set up at home when I was growing up. My father, brother and I used it all the time.
richila
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby absynthe1972 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:58 pm

richila wrote:My husband said I can't have a Holga until I spend some time learning to use my DSLR properly. I had forgotten how much I love photography until I started photographing dolls. Before that, it had been 10 years or more since I had picked up a camera on a regular basis. We had a darkroom set up at home when I was growing up. My father, brother and I used it all the time.

I love my husband's office just for that because he works in graphics and deals with printing film from this monstrous machine. I love the smell of that area where he works and he hates it. lol! Then again, it's nostalgia for me from when I developed my own T-Maxx.

I've always been a shutter bug and can easily take a couple hundred shots in just an hour or two...but with film, I really have to make every shot count using the Pentax. I feel like I'm shooting blind.

The Holga will be gorgeous. I bought a couple of auto-focus cameras (probably each 20+ years old) for my youngest son and he's been having a blast with them. He takes excellent photographs for never really holding a camera in his life. He was asking me for another roll of film tonight. lol!

Friday I want to take Gerschy, my 43cm Ariel out somewhere over my lunch and get some shots of her. The focal point on Art's camera is pretty darn amazing. I've got a roll of Kodak Gold 200 to finish off and I figure that's a pretty good way to do it. Maybe take her to the park...one of the more obscure, less beaten paths of the park and play around with the focal point because some of the flowers are still in bloom.

Hey, if you take some shots with the Holga when you get it, I'd love to see them! Where are your shots located with your digital? I'd like to check those out, too.
absynthe1972

Postby Ms. Geek » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:09 am

OK, here's one from the other side of the spectrum. Got a major bargain. Dollfie Dream v.1 body, almost perfect condition, for $100 plus $15 for shipping and insurance. She's great. Yeah, she's loose, but what do you expect from something about 6 years old that's been sitting on a shelf mummified in bubble wrap for four of those years? Oddly enough, even though the DD1 body is kind of odd, a weird hybrid of BJD and what was to come in the DD2 body people are usually more familiar with, and the DD2 is clearly superior, it's kept its value. I've seen people sell it for almost twice the price and get the price they were asking.

So yeah, I now have an example of the first version of the Dollfie Dream -- DD1, also the DD2 we all know and love, plus a Mini DD. I now have a grand total of three (count 'em) dolls I can bring to Volks in Torrance and take pictures of in their world-famous photo corner.

And how am I getting around the floppiness factor? Her character came home from Iraq in a wheelchair, she was in the Army before she got shot, and now she's a wounded vet trying to heal. She and Mitzi are going to be paired up.

And here's the part I'm sweating...this is my first faceup. Ever. ^^;; I bought her DDH-02 head at Volks, and I now have a project on my hands. When the friend who did your faceups moves halfway across the country, you have to start learning how to be self-sufficient on that score. Eep...
Ms. Geek

Postby absynthe1972 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:52 pm

Ms. Geek wrote:OK, here's one from the other side of the spectrum. Got a major bargain. Dollfie Dream v.1 body, almost perfect condition, for $100 plus $15 for shipping and insurance. She's great. Yeah, she's loose, but what do you expect from something about 6 years old that's been sitting on a shelf mummified in bubble wrap for four of those years? Oddly enough, even though the DD1 body is kind of odd, a weird hybrid of BJD and what was to come in the DD2 body people are usually more familiar with, and the DD2 is clearly superior, it's kept its value. I've seen people sell it for almost twice the price and get the price they were asking.

How totally awesome! Glad you got a good deal. I love getting a good deal.

What's the difference in the bodies?
absynthe1972

Postby K2! » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:11 pm

absynthe1972 wrote:How totally awesome! Glad you got a good deal. I love getting a good deal.

The big difference is that the DD version 1...oh, I don't want to spoil it. You tell her, Ms.G!
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby haruredjen » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:35 pm

K2! wrote:
absynthe1972 wrote:How totally awesome! Glad you got a good deal. I love getting a good deal.

The big difference is that the DD version 1...oh, I don't want to spoil it. You tell her, Ms.G!

I am currently trying to figure out how to restring a DDI. :shock: Totally weird.
haruredjen
dolliehs are watching me O.O;

Postby absynthe1972 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:24 pm

I still have to restring my Mu. I hate the Resin Soul/Bobobie elastic. *shudders* And he does NOT like to stand.

The second thing is that I have to wait until Monday to drop off the film I took of him - totally expired by two decades of Kodak Ektochrome 200 - and sweet talk the girl at Walgreens into cross processing it. *rolls eyes* I realize there's almost little or no chance that the film would even turn out if I had it processed as slide film...but what the heck, right?
absynthe1972

Return to Board index

Return to Let's Talk!