Go to footer

Recommendations for a DSLR camera?

The place for those OT discussions that you just HAVE to share in a doll themed forum.

Recommendations for a DSLR camera?

Postby DollyKim » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:04 am

I am considering getting a good DLSR for taking pictures of my dolls and artwork, among other things.

I'm looking to make a moderate investment so something that I can learn and grow with, eventually have a couple of lenses for etc. Would just like some opinions from people who already use them.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Re: Recommendations for a DSLR camera?

Postby Kattriella » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:13 pm

I'm bumping this thread because I would also like to have this information.
Kattriella
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby SetsunaKou » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:52 am

A few years ago, I also wanted a DSLR camera for taking photos of my custom dolls and figures, etc, but after posting here on DS and getting a lot of input from our wonderful members, I was convinced to go for a 'bridge' camera instead.

They seem to be nearly as good (not 100% of course! DSLR is tops!) in most every way and the plus is that you don't need to switch lenses in and out all the time.

K2-sama in particular swayed me by saying he uses a bridge camera for his photostories! I was sold and I don't regret it. I've since had 2 bridge cameras and am satisfied with the clarity, sharpness, portrait look if I want and of course the 'ease' of use.

I do recommend Sony Cybershot bridge cameras from my personal research and experience but it's up to the buyer to know what he/she is looking for exactly.

This site really helped me decide in my newest camera just in August 2020:
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-c ... x100-m3/12

There's an online comparison tool which you can hover over to see the comparison shots between the cameras at the same conditions and settings.

Back in 2017/2018, I bought a Sony Cybershot DSCH300 which is the heftier camera and can take SUPER long shots. (They say with an attached lens not included, you can reach the moon! I don't believe it but it did go really really far and well)

Now in Aug 2020, I had to buy a new one. (I dropped HC300 too many times and its lens became misaligned). Rather than have it fixed, I just decided to get a new model anyway.

So I went with Sony Cybershot RX100 Mark V. It's smaller to handle than the H300 but still heavy and has the 1" sensor for better quality pics like dslr and big bridge cameras.
Only thing is it's not as good at far shots as the DSCH300 was but I don't plan to shoot far away so that wasn't a problem for me. And the quality of the close up shots is better so that's what mattered in my needs. (Custom dolls and figure photography)

I was wavering between Sony and Canon but went with Sony because I usually use Sony cameras and know their 'ins and outs' and I prefer the less yellowish tones it achieves.

Basically, I am very happy with the Bridge cameras I've chosen. :) (Thanks K2-sama for suggesting a bridge to me a few years ago!!!! It was terrific advice!!!!)

Hope it helps a bit, Kim-san and Kattriella-san!!!
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby davidd » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:32 am

I have a Fujifilm Finepix S1 bridge camera. It works adequately for doll and toy photography, but I usually find myself drifting back to using a compact point-and-shoot camera, a Panasonic TS5. I can carry the compact camera around with me in a pocket so I always have it with me, and that particular model offers good results with close-up photography.
davidd
the walls have dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:04 am

Less yellowish tones with a Sony is good to know. Getting as close to the "real" color of my artwork is going to be one of the most important parts. I'm considering having a photo book done and figure I can do it all myself.

I still have a point and shoot, and now an iPhone for general pictures. Never heard of a bridge camera so I'll look into it.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby davidd » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:58 am

DollyKim wrote:Getting as close to the "real" color of my artwork is going to be one of the most important parts.

Getting the colors to record accurately is influenced as much or more by the lighting you choose as it is by the camera you use. If photographing artwork is your objective, you will probably want a camera that allows you to manually adjust what is called the White Balance, which is how the camera responds to lighting.

Photographing artwork seems like it would be relatively simple, but in my experience, it can be quite challenging.
davidd
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Iwa_Hoshi » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:09 am

A bit late to the party my bad.

I gone from using a point and shoot Fujifilm FinePix F850EXR(I happen to like the Fuji series starting out) to the current Canon EOS M50 as well as my phone Samsung S10e.

The mirrorless camera (M50 as well as M6 and M100, some Fuji as well) was recommended to me by my DSLR owning doll friends(Canon users who dabble sometimes) based on the way I shoot. The basis was that what I see is what I get, outside of adjusting the requirements(ISO, shutter speed, etc) for scenery and stuff. I gotten a complimentary intro class from Canon along the way, they also got video tutorials on their site. So far it doesn't feel all that different from my previous camera. The outdoors shots were decent, I'm still figuring out dim cupboard lighting so I haven't tried night shots yet.

Basically you need decent light on your subject, a cheap LED with tissue paper to diffuse is a good start until you feel like something better. Ain't complaining if fireworks shots survive and the best one involves bright shop lights (finepix f50fd) coming from behind me and a steady hand to hold doll. I had to change my camera since I can't get rid of the smudge.

So far from what I understand the guys recommend Canon because of being able to use some existing lens with adaptor and/or have existing lens range (correct me if I'm wrong, its been a while)

Oh yeah and what SetsunaKou said about reading up reviews. Had to do a google for camera A vs B to get the further comparison.
Team of Dolls Bio Team of Dolls on Flickr
Keeping an eye out for props for Dioramas
Iwa_Hoshi
MD - Master of Dollology

Return to Board index

Return to Let's Talk!