Go to footer

Should I be enraged or flattered?

The place for those OT discussions that you just HAVE to share in a doll themed forum.

Should I be enraged or flattered?

Postby embyquinn » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:30 pm

Fairly recently I wrote a novel, Variant. I haven't gotten much feedback because I haven't done a lot of promotion (2020 sucks), but I still would like to hear some kind of feedback, so I broke down and did a vanity search for my own book. Most of the results were from places where I mentioned it or from Amazon, but I also found a download for my book on a pirate site.

Oh well. At least someone thought enough of my book to steal it.
"Dolls love to be played with. They are lonesome if you leave them always in a box. How would you like to be left day after day alone, with no one to love you?"
embyquinn
the walls have dolliehs

Re: Should I be enraged or flattered?

Postby davidd » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:00 pm

Do you have a link for a legit source? Is your novel on Amazon for Kindle?
davidd
the walls have dolliehs

Postby embyquinn » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:55 pm

davidd wrote:Do you have a link for a legit source? Is your novel on Amazon for Kindle?

Yes and yes.
https://www.amazon.com/Variant-Novel-Emby-Quinn-ebook/dp/B0841N8KHX
"Dolls love to be played with. They are lonesome if you leave them always in a box. How would you like to be left day after day alone, with no one to love you?"
embyquinn
the walls have dolliehs

Postby davidd » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:27 am

Thanks!

Cool cover design!
Last edited by davidd on Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
davidd
the walls have dolliehs

Postby K2! » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:30 am

Enraged of flattered?
I don't know. I guess it depends on how you view your work. Is it something you intended on earning income from or something you're doing "for fun"?

Most of my real world "art" is done as part of theatrical/television presentations produced by other companies so the whole intellectual property thing is up to them.

As for my personal stuff like MADh Vinyl and Kizuna & Chitose, I figure as soon as it hits the web someone else has probably copied and claimed it as their own.
I'll have to reassess my stance when I see the trailer for the Kizuna & Chitose movie on YouTube.
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby embyquinn » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:41 pm

K2! wrote:Enraged of flattered?
I don't know. I guess it depends on how you view your work. Is it something you intended on earning income from or something you're doing "for fun"?

Most of my real world "art" is done as part of theatrical/television presentations produced by other companies so the whole intellectual property thing is up to them.

As for my personal stuff like MADh Vinyl and Kizuna & Chitose, I figure as soon as it hits the web someone else has probably copied and claimed it as their own.
I'll have to reassess my stance when I see the trailer for the Kizuna & Chitose movie on YouTube.

So I'mma take it you're more or less okay with Riri cosplaying as a Nekomi schoolgirl so long as I let everyone know where the concept comes from?
embyquinn
the walls have dolliehs

Postby zirconmermaid » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:17 am

Yay for the link! I like the cover too, and the description too. I picked it up.
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby davidd » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:24 pm

zirconmermaid wrote:I picked it up.

So did I! ;)

See? By mentioning your book on the forum, you've picked up enough sales to bump your ranking from two-million something to the mid two-hundred thousands! A ten-fold improvement!

Don't spend all those royalties in one place! :lol:
davidd
the walls have dolliehs

Postby maywong » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:55 am

Very nice cover.
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby Jobee » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:54 pm

I'm sorry people pirated your book. That sucks. It's really amazing that you published a book tho!
Jobee
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Let's Talk!