Go to footer

Does anyone here do tablet weaving?

The place for those OT discussions that you just HAVE to share in a doll themed forum.

Does anyone here do tablet weaving?

Postby DollyKim » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:14 am

I have been attempting to do some tablet weaving. Initial success somehow managed to get the string crossed messing up the design and...

My last grrr is that the tablets, made from thick playing cards like countless other people, keep getting caught.

Tablet #1 will get its corner caught in tablet #2's strings. I rounded the corners on the cards. I used a string separator. I used swivels. I'm trying stripes with the same color on each card so the design is strait in my head. My tension is even. I spend more time untangling than actually weaving. I don't want to spend the money on pricey tools because I just want to make a few things.

Would thicker stiffer cards be the answer or is the universe just telling me I shouldn't do this as a hobby?
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Re: Does anyone here do tablet weaving?

Postby zirconmermaid » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:15 pm

I’ve meant to start, and have been following an awesome YouTube. https://youtu.be/ooNOYUtc2ek. I would guess thicker cards.
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby DollyKim » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:05 am

It's easy enough to set up and do. For the few inches it was working I was making good progress.

I would definitely recommend fishing swivels on one end to help control the twisting, unless you're getting a loom.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby zirconmermaid » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:57 pm

It is a fascinating craft. I can’t remember where I saw it, but I’ve seen doll size bands.
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby DollyKim » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:38 am

~cries in ADHD unable to do a something~
Thicker cards weren't the answer for me. Fortunately I have other string hobbies that I can do.

If anyone wants to try this do use Bicycle brand or other thick trading cards. Embroidery floss, friendship bracelet floss, crochet thread, and the DMC Pearl that comes in little balls work well enough for practicing and learning. When it does work you get a nice sturdy strap like shoelace or dog leash weave.

This is the tutorial that finally clicked with me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0jnL5KrPYY
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:51 am

A little 4 inch rigid heddle is working for me. This is a 12 epi (or whatever it is) and could work as a thread separator if needed for cards.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Return to Board index

Return to Let's Talk!