Go to footer

Looking for camera recommendations

The place for those OT discussions that you just HAVE to share in a doll themed forum.

Looking for camera recommendations

Postby Kattriella » Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:58 am

So after working myself almost to death during the pandemic, then working even more during thia holiday season, I've decided it's time to actually bite the bullet and get myself a real camera for my doll photos. My phone's camera has served me well, but it's just not cutting it anymore. I told myself I would wait until all the renovations to my workshop were done before buying a camera. Well, the renovations are done, so I have no more excuses. This year, I'm getting myself something nice for my birthday, something I've wanted for a long time. I'm buying a camera.

Now, problem is, I don't know much about cameras, and finding information on what would be good for doll photography can be . . . Difficult. So, I posw the question to all of you: What do you recommend? Price isn't TOO much of an issue, but I'd prefer something under $500.

So, anybody got any recommendations?
Kattriella
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Re: Looking for camera recommendations

Postby Jobee » Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:12 pm

Sorry, I don't know a thing about cameras, I always use my phone...
Jobee
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Postby Iwa_Hoshi » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:23 am

Spent a few years using point and shoot cameras ( preference for Fujifilm FinePix F850EXR and related). You could google for what cameras are good for starters and if possible visit an actual shop the handle it

Spent The last 2 years alternating between my phone and learning my mirrorless Canon m50.

From advise of friends who recommend it based on the way I shoot, the m50 is kinda WYSIWYG. so some amount of fiddling to understand the controls and what it do under what conditions. If you can't go to classes offer by camera company, I think Canon has online classes as part of camera tutorial.

Been using it mostly indoors because pandemic rules and crowd avoidance. Main thing I learn from them is adequate light source from behind you shining at doll(indirect/direct/ wrapped with tissue to diffuse light strength) to give camera chance to capture detail. My control is still hit and miss sometimes

DSLR still flies over my head, so yeah.
Team of Dolls Bio Team of Dolls on Flickr
Keeping an eye out for props for Dioramas
Iwa_Hoshi
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby Kattriella » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:38 am

I've been looking at some Canon cameras, and so far I think I'll end up going with one of them. Now to wait for my paycheck to come through. @-@
Kattriella
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby SetsunaKou » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:58 am

I use a Sony camera--had the large heavy Bridge a few years ago and was very satisfied, especially with the movie function and the zoom (it could zoom to the moon's surface people said, though I didn't see that!), then I broke it (dropped it and lens shifted) so I bought a lighter SONY CYBER-SHOT DSC-RX100M5 which I'm currently using now.

It takes great photos, and has a nice 'portrait' mode and 'macro' mode, a bunch of other modes as well, and several 'auto' modes plus manual you can adjust, too.
The movie function works well, too, though I don't suggest zooming it as you film or you hear the motor whirring! and the zoom isn't as far as the Bridge camera I had originally.
But the camera is a lot lighter, and just as clear or clearer shots, because it still has the larger sensor needed to get clarity.

I used this page to help choose:
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-c ... rx100-m3/8

Scroll to the bottom of the page and there is a layout Comparison tool where you can compare the same picture taken using all various cameras! It's so helpful and really shows the differences.

I especially noticed subtle differences in the guy with the stubble on the mid/lower left side, and the engraving picture in b&w to his right, upper. Those were really the standouts for me to see how the cameras differ.

Good luck!
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Return to Board index

Return to Let's Talk!