Go to footer

CALIFORNIA MEMBERS - Please Check In - AGAIN!

The place for those OT discussions that you just HAVE to share in a doll themed forum.

CALIFORNIA MEMBERS - Please Check In - AGAIN!

Postby Kirahfaye » Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:36 am

I understand that Alaska has been hit very hard with winter storms. Please let us know you and your husband are okay!!
Last edited by Kirahfaye on Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Re: @kenaiqueen Please Check In!

Postby kenaiqueen » Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:30 pm

Digging ourselves out regularly, but thanks for asking. Anchorage which is 150 miles north of us is getting slammed worse than we are with snow, but we had our turn last year. This year is not as bad, although we still have 4-foot berms around the driveway. I admit I've been hibernating a bit and haven't been outside for the last 4 or 5 days. The temps for the last couple of weeks have mostly been in the minuses, crawling up to single digits during the day. (Thank goodness for the down coats I've invested in!)

Dreading our gas bill later this month. We have applied for the free senior weatherization, but they were full up last year so we have covered a lot of the windows with visqueen and hung fleece curtains to help hold in the heat. My poor doll room is downright chilly most days but I'm keeping it above 50 at least.

Feeling it for the lower 48 cities who don't have the infrastructure we have in the way of plows, dirt trucks and studded tires on our vehicles. Stay warm, peeps!
Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD.
kenaiqueen
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby DollyKim » Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:23 pm

Those videos of Honda Civics trying to swim upstream to spawn in So Cal are pretty accurate. We got some snowflakes but they didn’t stick.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Kattriella » Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:23 pm

It's just been cold here in Tennessee, which is good. People around here hear "light flurries" and start acting like the world is ending.
Kattriella
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Kirahfaye » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:19 pm

Glad to hear you are doing okay. Augusta rarely gets frost let alone snow. I mean - we have palm trees! :lol:
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby kenaiqueen » Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:31 pm

He's our backyard at 24 below. It was nippy! you can tell it's really cold when the spruce are frosted. They usually just stay green even when we get ice fog.

ImageYard3 by Kenai Queen, on Flickr
kenaiqueen
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Kattriella » Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:35 pm

I swear, I'm convinced that Alaska isn't even real.
Kattriella

Postby Tam I am » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:56 pm

Looks like I should have been posting pictures of what it was like here when we were getting -40C temps a couple weeks ago. XD
I am Tam. Tam I am. I like green eggs, but I don't like ham. :D

I tried linking one of my adopted click pets here, but the board wouldn't let me. :/
Tam I am

Postby DollyKim » Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:05 am

Alaska is real, my new city with its made up Hollywood/cartoon name and zip code isn’
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby kenaiqueen » Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:15 pm

Tam I am wrote:Looks like I should have been posting pictures of what it was like here when we were getting -40C temps a couple weeks ago. XD

Would love to see that. I've been in those kinds of temps before and I prefer to stay in. When I arrived in Alaska in 1978, the snow berms were about 6 feet high, but I had spent some time in Saulte Ste. Marie, MI and we had snow like that one of the years I lived there. I'm just not a hot weather person and I dislike beaches, palm trees and bugs. I love being able to walk out on my deck to cool off when a hot flash hits (which is still ongoing for the past 20 years).
kenaiqueen
Iz dolliehs Here

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Let's Talk!