Go to footer

Blythe... and the littlest pet shop? Huh?

The place for those OT discussions that you just HAVE to share in a doll themed forum.

Blythe... and the littlest pet shop? Huh?

Postby lilreeper » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:28 pm

I just saw a commercial for the new Littlest Pet Shop toys. They now.... come with mini-Blythes. There are three of them.

I'm gonna go cry and mourn the adult-oriented part of this hobby's death.
HOME: Dollzone Yuu-1 YS (Rave) Doll Family A Shawna (Nicole) Doll Family A event head (Paul) BBB Pandora on F-Doll body (Gabrielle) BBB Rachel (Susan) D.I.M. "secret" minimee head pending body (Maria)
lilreeper
i see dead dolliehs

Re: Blythe... and the littlest pet shop? Huh?

Postby Geektopian » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:26 pm

lilreeper wrote:I just saw a commercial for the new Littlest Pet Shop toys. They now.... come with mini-Blythes. There are three of them.

I'm gonna go cry and mourn the adult-oriented part of this hobby's death.

Just remember though that Blythe was originally created by Kenner as a toy years ago. Since Kenner was absorbed into Hasbro long ago, they own all of Kenner's IP rights and master licenses. I suspect that they are using this as a way to test Blythe's viability in the North American market.

About 3 or 4 years ago (maybe more), Hasbro discovered they were losing tons of money on licenses for popular media properties. Since then, they've tried to concentrate primarily on manufacturing and granting licenses for properties they either own (GI Joe, Transformers, etc) or, as in the case with Star Wars, granting sub-licenses on properties for which they have a master license. I'm sure that with our difficult economic times, they are scouring through the list of properties they own out-right to find things they can sell in their home market.
Geektopian
Der Kommissar

Postby DollyKim » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:13 pm

I've seen a few big head looking dolls aimed at kids come and go without much of a fuss, it's just a trend for pocket sized dolls right now. Blythe is still priced beyond what the average parent would pay, and she isn't in toy stores. It's a bit like Disney and Re Ment coming together for a cash grab. You'll get cross over collectors but only the die hards will stick around. Did see all three at Wal-Mart and was disappointed how disgustingly over packaged they are. Unless you're a Blythe or LPS hoarder you aren't missing much. The Kubrick Blythes are more interesting.

And if they really want to do something with GI Joe I'd like some 1/6 scale playsets to make up for the hole in Power Team Elite. Justin still wants a pet predator drone.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby lilreeper » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:22 pm

It's still the name getting out there to youngins that is worrying me. *twitchtwitch* It's the thought of my three year old brother and kids like him getting these toys and not even knowing what they are.
HOME: Dollzone Yuu-1 YS (Rave) Doll Family A Shawna (Nicole) Doll Family A event head (Paul) BBB Pandora on F-Doll body (Gabrielle) BBB Rachel (Susan) D.I.M. "secret" minimee head pending body (Maria)
lilreeper
i see dead dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:14 am

What is the exact worry? A kid that young won't "get" much about a toy. For example my cousin that age has a Corpse Bride rag doll she calls Princess and she can fly across the room and land in a paper bag. There's no concept if the character is alive or dead or anything. They don't attach baggage to toys, it's the people around them who do. They'll just see a girl doll with a pet. Is she pink? Is she cute? Is it a status symbol like a bag of rubber bands?
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby TieflingBoy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:01 pm

I don't understand the worry, either. Think of it like you would the various types of Barbie. There are dolls you would let the kids play with, and there's dolls that are collector's items. The Blythe dolls included in the set are cute play-line dolls. From my understanding, they don't have the rotating eyes, movable eye lids, or removable wigs.

So, there's nothing to fear. It's just something different. Plus, Hasbro might just be trying to find a niche in the doll market, since Lorifina didn't pan out as well as they had hoped.
TieflingBoy
i see dead dolliehs

Postby catzilerella » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:11 am

It's no biggie! Different is fun.
I love them, and I have one myself.
XD

^_^
catzilerella
i see dead dolliehs

Postby catzilerella » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:11 am

It's no biggie! Different is fun.
I love them, and I have one myself.
XD

^_^
catzilerella
i see dead dolliehs

Postby Valli » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:18 am

There are four in the current set available here in the UK in various toy shops and online. I've got Fabulously Vintage with her spider friend. I like them. I don't really understand the concerns, though. I must be missing something here.
Valli
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby DollyKim » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:57 am

I might have to get that one to be mini Freaky Frieda, especially because she comes with a spider.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Let's Talk!