Go to footer

Possible to dye an obitsu?

The place for those OT discussions that you just HAVE to share in a doll themed forum.

Possible to dye an obitsu?

Postby richila » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:50 pm

My Sleeping Elf Mina (15cm) has developed a brand new back story during my NaNoWriMo writing and is demanding a taller and bustier body. She wants to be 23 cm tall. Since her head is about the same size as my nano Haruka heads, the only problem is the color. She is the bobobie dark tan http://www.bobobie.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=105 I think I have figured out a dye formula that will match with blushing, I just need to know if the body will take dye. I thought about a Cocoa Hujoo body, but it is as wide as my PD mini girls and she is supposed to be a proportionate 4'6" to their 5"6".
richila
I have no life but dolliehs

Re: Possible to dye an obitsu?

Postby Greyhaunt » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:37 pm

My recommendation is to go to the Junkyspot forum and look in the tips and tricks forum. From what I remember yes you can dye them, but as different parts are different plastics the dye job will not come out all over even AND you can run the risk of parts shrinking/warping from the heat of the dye. I don't think that they have been very successful.
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Re: Possible to dye an obitsu?

Postby Geektopian » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:23 pm

Yes but it can be kind of hit or miss. My thinking is that you're probably better off dying the soft vinyl parts and painting the ABS parts to match. You would probably do better to use a solvent based paint on the ABS parts but don't be tempted to use it on the soft vinyl.

One possibility to consider is vinyl dye. It comes in a spray can and is used to re-color car seats, shoes, purses and similar items. As you can imagine, it has to be both safe for a variety of plastic surfaces and needs to be tough and flexible. The only down side is that the range of colors isn't as great as what you can achieve with dyes or acrylic paints. The best source is probably a chain auto parts store that caters to do it yourself mechanics.
Geektopian
Der Kommissar

Return to Board index

Return to Let's Talk!