Go to footer

The Sock Stigma

The place for those OT discussions that you just HAVE to share in a doll themed forum.

Re: The Sock Stigma

Postby Geektopian » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:41 am

GooglyDooglyV.2 wrote:
And there's always a few like that in all hobbies. You should see the "elitism" there is in military modeling community. Kits that's made in China, Korea (like Academy), or American/Western kit manufacturers (Like Revell/MonoGram) are deemed wholly inferior compared to the Japanese manufacturers like Hasegawa or Tamiya.

But I have yet to see someone in any modeling forum/community voiced hurt feelings why their preferred non-Japanese kits are shunned. :shock:

Ah yes, the infamous "Joyless Modeling Numpty". They are out there but rather than the sort of "elitism" you see in doll communities, it's the "who has the biggest... uh, knowledge base". Of course, mention Academy and watch the JMNs have a total flip-da-flippity-f***in' meltdown. People will make stuff up about inaccuracies that don't exist just so they can have something to bitch about.

My two favorite moments in the recent past include a bitch and moan fest at Armorama over some guy's obviously "just for fun" diorama of WW2-era US soldiers battling a T-Rex and the never-ending howling about the "inaccuracy" of Trumpeter's E-series German tanks. As far as I know, aside from an unfinished, partial hull for the E100 superheavy, none of the other vehicles existed as anything more than design proposals. Oh, and how can I forget the recent thread at one board where two guys argued over the placement and number of gas caps on a certain tank? That was uh, enlightening. :lol:
Geektopian
Der Kommissar

Postby Greyhaunt » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:57 am

Mlatch - have I mentioned that your new avatar is AWESOME?
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby Wardah » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:08 pm

Even on the MLP boards there are a few "those new style ponies look like crap. The only ponies that really look like a My Little Pony are the original 80's ones" types but they are mostly civil about it.
Wardah
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Geektopian » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:30 pm

Greyhaunt wrote:Mlatch - have I mentioned that your new avatar is AWESOME?

Thank you! Making his little cap has been a challenge, to say the least, and this the second revision.
Geektopian
Der Kommissar

Postby Wardah » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:04 pm

I had never even heard of a Fer before today. The dress part, while very pretty, is not exactly a groundbreaking new design. I have seen plenty of similar dresses for Blythes and Pullips and even Barbie after all. If they want to say the coat is special that's one thing because it is definitely unique but they can't say anything if anyone makes a similar dress.
Wardah
the walls have dolliehs

Postby delbelcoure » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:02 am

I don't know about doll clothes but apparently in the real fashion world there is no copyright.
http://www.ted.com/talks/johanna_blakle ... lture.html
"the courts decided long ago that apparel is too utilitarian to qualify for copyright protection"
Now people will still snark, but whether they have a legal foot to stand on is another thing entirely.
Susan
http://www.flickr.com/photos/delbelcoure
Does this, will this, enhance my life or the lives of others?
-Don Aslett
Ack! I'm being overrun by Monster High dolls and frankendollies!
delbelcoure
the walls have dolliehs

Postby embyquinn » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:40 am

Sorry to revive this thread, but in case anyone hasn't noticed, they finally closed the dreaded "Sock Thread" over on DoA.

About ten pages too late, probably.
"Dolls love to be played with. They are lonesome if you leave them always in a box. How would you like to be left day after day alone, with no one to love you?"
embyquinn
the walls have dolliehs

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Let's Talk!