Go to footer

The Sock Stigma

The place for those OT discussions that you just HAVE to share in a doll themed forum.

Re: The Sock Stigma

Postby embyquinn » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:46 pm

See, here's the thing. The "sock thread" was originally in General Discussion, before it got so goshdarn dramatic. Then it got moved into Debate.

I just bought some new socks today. I'm going to wear most of them, but one pair is this really cool multistripe, and Chae-ri's getting a new sweater out of it.
"Dolls love to be played with. They are lonesome if you leave them always in a box. How would you like to be left day after day alone, with no one to love you?"
embyquinn
the walls have dolliehs

Postby -T2P- » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:00 pm

GooglyDooglyV.2 wrote:I don't think it's about whether you use socks for fabric to make doll clothes out of. No one there ever said that you shouldn't use socks as recycled fabrics. Some people just don't like seeing badly-fitting sock dresses, with no thought put into it other than cutting the toes off.

I have yet to see anyone being rude to anyone with a sock dress (even badly-made ones) on DoA. The Debate Section is for, well, debates. It's kind of unfair to judge a whole forum as elitists from a single section where you are encouraged to speak your mind.

Think of it this way. Let's say someone comes in, new to the hobby. And they used their Crayola Crayons to do the faceup, since they have no money to buy faceup supplies, and the result ends up less than stellar.

Would you go, "YAY! THAT'S SO AWESOME!" Or would you rather point out that affordable faceup supplies can be found, and would do a better job at faceupping if they don't use their crayons?

See the thing is, of course you don't see people being rude to sock dress people on DoA, because it's against the rules to do so! I find it incredibly hypocritical that many of the people on DoA who constantly remind everyone that nobody is attacking sock dress people over there are frequenters of the 'poison' threads over at DoD...

There are times when this hobby reminds me far to much of the Elegant Goth Lolita community. Both can be very harsh to newbies, and both have many member who are entirely too worried about what others in their respective hobby are doing.
Last edited by -T2P- on Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-T2P-
i see dead dolliehs

Postby ivory stardust » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:03 pm

embyquinn wrote:I just bought some new socks today. I'm going to wear most of them, but one pair is this really cool multistripe, and Chae-ri's getting a new sweater out of it.

I barely go to DoA, except to browse the Marketplace, and check the local meet-up thread. Slightly off-topic but I gotta ask... how do you make a sweater out of a sock? It sounds cute!
Sometimes, you just need a nap!
ivory stardust
Dolly Pardon

Postby Llwynog » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Sock ballgowns.....intriguing.
Llwynog
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby Mary Kathryn » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:36 pm

victoriavictrix wrote:Ahhh the Dollheart Fer, which is MORE EXPENSIVE THAN ANY OUTFIT I HAVE FOR ME! is made of miles of raw, unhemmed ruffles. Which by me would be FINE if the ruffles were made of something like my favorite power mesh which does not need hemming....but they are not. They are made of cotton muslin. I've seen one that has been laundered a time or two...after washing it does shed threads and I have to wonder if it weren't from Dollheart, how people would think about it.

Thanks! That's what I figured and it's why I've held back on buying one. Because I would be beyond pissed about the unhemmed ruffles. They are pretty, but that would drive me nuts. I wish Dollheart made more casual outfits because I do have some stuff I've gotten out of Fukubukuro bags and the quality is really good. But most (not all) is loli wear and that's just not my style. If they'd expand their line of stuff you could buy by the piece I'd love it.
Mary Kathryn
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Greyhaunt » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:10 pm

ivory stardust wrote:I barely go to DoA, except to browse the Marketplace, and check the local meet-up thread. Slightly off-topic but I gotta ask... how do you make a sweater out of a sock? It sounds cute!

There are several different ways depending on the size of the doll you are planning on making it for. Dale Rae is the queen of sock sewing - she has stuff on her site about making sock sweaters for everything from fashion doll to SD size :) Of course she sells "patterns" for the larger dolls because for most of them you have to use the sock more as "fabric" than anything else, but it's worth it - her instructions are great ;)

http://www.dalerae.com/
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby haruredjen » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:21 pm

What's the matter with you people? Don't you realize that if you managed to scrimp up every penny (lol... we all know it's our Daddy that buys us everything we whine for) so you can to buy a doll and then dress it in rags you're an irresponsible doll owner? Don't you know they're better off naked? Don't you realize you're pulling the whole hobby down into the gutter with your disgusting sweater rags? My God, if my daddy (Sugar or Step or otherwise) can be manipulated into buying me multi-hundred dollar doll outfits, why can't yours? And please, you don't have an outfit that costs that much... doesn't everyone buy designer only clothes for themselves? And about those horrid Resinsoul and Bobobie dolls... ick. Inferior blobs of resin. Only Fabu Elite Doll Company LE's are worth buying. And even worse... dare I even say it... hybrids! ...swoons onto fainting couch... *gasp* I suppose if it's one of those dolls, you might as well stick it in a nasty old sock. Ugh. Oh, as for Fers, of course they're worth every hundreds of dollars. They're dolly Designer Wear, people! They're better because someone said so, and everyone knows that's all that matters. Pah. What are you peasants even doing in this Elite Level Hobby in the first place? Go back to your inferior vinyl (especially if it's American... ew.) and leave us Special People to our Special Selves and our Special Hobby with our Special Dolls in their Special Clothes. Honestly. Losers!
haruredjen
dolliehs are watching me O.O;

Postby GooglyDooglyV.2 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:02 pm

-T2P- wrote:
See the thing is, of course you don't see people being rude to sock dress people on DoA, because it's against the rules to do so! I find it incredibly hypocritical that many of the people on DoA who constantly remind everyone that nobody is attacking sock dress people over there are frequenters of the 'poison' threads over at DoD...

There are times when this hobby reminds me far to much of the Elegant Goth Lolita community. Both can be very harsh to newbies, and both have many member who are entirely too worried about what others in their respective hobby are doing.

Well we really can't police whatever people may think privately, and talk about with their friends. That's a dangerous precedent if we're beginning to expect people to only think nice things inside their heads. IMHO, they can say or think whatever they want privately. And if you have to go join DoD just to find snark about sock dresses....well there you go. :P

Talking snarkily about someone's sock dresses privately between your friends is not an "attack". An attack is if people began making snide comments in the sock dress person's threads, or if someone outright tell them, "Your sock dresses is so ugly, gtfo!" Gossip didn't begin with this hobby, and neither will it end here.

What I don't understand about the whole thing is when did it became wrong to dislike something? When did it became wrong to see something as ugly? Is it politically incorrect now to think of something as ugly? Is it wrong now to have a personal preference? Must everything have to be seen as pretty lovely things?
GooglyDooglyV.2
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby Resu » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:11 pm

GooglyDooglyV.2 wrote:What I don't understand about the whole thing is when did it became wrong to dislike something? When did it became wrong to see something as ugly? Is it politically incorrect now to think of something as ugly? Is it wrong now to have a personal preference? Must everything have to be seen as pretty lovely things?

When people started becoming more thin skinned and even the smallest criticism would cause them to break out in tears? XD
Resu
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby K2! » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:01 pm

What I don't understand about the whole thing is when did it became wrong to dislike something? When did it became wrong to see something as ugly? Is it politically incorrect now to think of something as ugly? Is it wrong now to have a personal preference?

It is not wrong to dislike something. It is unconscionable how some people publicly express their dislike for a thing.
K2!
Stoopid Noob

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Let's Talk!