Go to footer

The Sock Stigma

The place for those OT discussions that you just HAVE to share in a doll themed forum.

Re: The Sock Stigma

Postby haruredjen » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:01 pm

K2! wrote:
What I don't understand about the whole thing is when did it became wrong to dislike something? When did it became wrong to see something as ugly? Is it politically incorrect now to think of something as ugly? Is it wrong now to have a personal preference?

It is not wrong to dislike something. It is unconscionable how some people publicly express their dislike for a thing.

Yes. It's not that they don't like it, but the way they go about saying that they don't like it. It's unkind. It's mean-spirited. And hiding behind "well it's just my opinion" doesn't cut it. The intended... well... malice is poorly veiled. I really don't like it when people use oh, I just say what I think because I'm outspoken and I'm just saying what everyone else is thinking anyways as an excuse to be hurtful. And no, not everyone on DoA is like that, certainly not, but enough people are that it's simply dismaying. And like most bullies, they're the most frequent and loudest at stating their "opinions". Having a "personal preference" has nothing to do with making someone else feel like crap for their personal preferences.
haruredjen
dolliehs are watching me O.O;

Postby GooglyDooglyV.2 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:53 pm

...But it's a debate. :shock: It's one thing if someone posted pics of a sock dress, then someone tries to be snarky while trying to hide their snarkiness by stating that its only their opinion. It's a different matter if the OP specifically asked what it is about sock dresses that you don't like. One is unneeded and reeking of malice, the other is a solicited opinion.

I know someone in that thread said something about how she doesn't see how anyone could spend $$$ amount of money on a doll to make it look ugly, and that could be deemed malicious. But so is saying something like, "OMG she spent over $$$$$ over a doll??? You could feed a starving child for a year with that!!! I would never spend my money like that!!!"

Both sentences have the ring of truth to it, but both are equally judgmental. :cry:

That's basically the gist of why I'm so confused about the hurt feelings generated over this. Even on DoD, mention of sock dresses are very few and far inbetween. And that place is the center of snark of this hobby. Are badly made sock dresses made fun of privately? Sure you betcha. We're all guilty of that. We're all guilty of thinking bad thoughts, and even talking about it with our friends about someone else's doll/whatever if they didn't look....shall we say, good? Are doll owners attacked/shunned/castigated over it? Nope. Never.
Last edited by GooglyDooglyV.2 on Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GooglyDooglyV.2
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby GooglyDooglyV.2 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:57 pm

Resu wrote:
GooglyDooglyV.2 wrote:What I don't understand about the whole thing is when did it became wrong to dislike something? When did it became wrong to see something as ugly? Is it politically incorrect now to think of something as ugly? Is it wrong now to have a personal preference? Must everything have to be seen as pretty lovely things?

When people started becoming more thin skinned and even the smallest criticism would cause them to break out in tears? XD

I think that's part of it. And it doesn't help that in this hobby, sunshine and rainbow thoughts are often encouraged, or downright enforced. I've been to a My Little Pony forum where people can take criticisms better than people in our hobby.

...And no, I won't tell you people why I was on a MLP forum. >>;;
GooglyDooglyV.2
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby victoriavictrix » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:59 am

Well, there are times when you just have to say "I can't tell you how I know this is mean-spirited and intended deliberately to hurt, I just know it when I see it." Lou, I am pretty sure those of us who are recognizing that malice in certain posts in that topic are the ones who've been the victims of the "Heathers" and "Mean Girls" in our past. We know it when we see it. Those of you who are blessed to never have had that particular sort of vicious vitriol thrown in your face are going "huh?"

It's not being thin-skinned. These posters know exactly what they are doing, and hiding behind "It's my opinion and I have a right to say it." But as the very wise Oliver Wendell Holmes said, "The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins," and if is anyone setting out to punch someone in the face and pretending it's all THEIR fault that their nose was there, then that's just plain vicious AND hypocritical.
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby DollyKim » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:51 am

If everything is sacred then nothing is.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Mary Kathryn » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:06 am

GooglyDooglyV.2 wrote:...And no, I won't tell you people why I was on a MLP forum. >>;;

It's okay. We accept your love of MLP. :lol:
Mary Kathryn
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Kirahfaye » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:33 am

Okay, forgive me for my giggle, but . . . here we are debating how people debate . . . hehehehehe

Maybe it's the lack of sleep . . . . :lol:
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby Greyhaunt » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:39 am

I wore warm fuzzy socks to bed last night :) :D

just thought I'd throw in an on-topic comment again :lol: :lol:
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby DollyKim » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:48 am

So, is there an economic way to get the most out of one way design sox? I have two pairs I busted the toes on but the ankle parts with the designs are intact, and the two designs won't go with each other.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby delbelcoure » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:59 am

skookum hime wrote:So, I know a lot of us from over here have stumbled upon this topic over on Den of Angels. The sock dress is under heated discussion, and being that we are a forum of mostly sock lovers, what is the general consensus here?

Personally, its a sock, or sock material. I only go eew if its an old dirty sock. Other than that, its not a big deal. Wouldn't you agree or do you disagree?

I use any type of fabric that fits my needs to make doll clothe (and people clothes for that matter), so the sock itself is inoffensive to me. Some people do make very shoddy clothes out of socks, but I tend to be one of those overly encouraging people on the DoA sewing forum. I feel like the person who made a doll outfit probably did their best and they will hopefully continue to learn to sew and gain new skills if they're encouraged. I try to pick something I really like to compliment, even if it's just a good color choice or how happy the sewer is.

GooglyDooglyV.2 wrote:...What I don't understand about the whole thing is when did it became wrong to dislike something? When did it became wrong to see something as ugly? Is it politically incorrect now to think of something as ugly? Is it wrong now to have a personal preference? Must everything have to be seen as pretty lovely things?

We all have our personal preferences and we are free to express them in a public setting. The question for me is usually "what is the point of saying this, what will it serve?" Airing ones opinions can be a lot like farting. Everyone does it, but who likes to be around someone who does it a lot and is loud and smelly about it? I like to stick to constructive criticism when I offer criticism - one supportive comment, one constructive comment, one supportive comment - because my goal is to encourage people to be creative and express themselves positively through making art and collecting art and to share dolly love, not to make others feel bad. The snarky / drama llama people on DoA are why I only read the sewing sub forum now. Some people seem to mistake having a "good" (expensive/ pretty/ whatever) doll with being a good person - I'm just tired of being their audience and trying to educate them.
I can be pretty snarky in person, I have no trouble with snark in general, but witty one liners are a lot different than mean spiritedness.

Mary Kathryn wrote:And while we're talking about it maybe someone who owns a fer can answer this for me. I looks to me like all those ruffles are unhemmed. Won't they eventually get ragged and unravel? I would be pissed if I paid that much for doll dress and it started shedding threads. I could be wrong. I've never seen one in person. So please correct me if I am.

I have a fer. I bought one after seeing one in person. To me, they are gorgeous. I love to sew doll clothes, it's my main reason for collecting dolls, I considered making a fer like outfit. The thing is I hate sewing ruffles and I couldn't source the coat fabric, so I bought one.
When I got it I was soooo impressed. Yes, the ruffles are unhemmed and fray a little, but they are bias cut, so they won't fray away into nothing.
The dress and coat are fully lined, the dress has a lovely invisible zipper ( I am poor zipper installer). The coat is a work of art, it has maybe 14 working buttonholes on the front and the hood is buttoned on too. I like the cut of the coat as well - all asymmetrical. The little necklace, armbands and petticoat are just the icing on the cake. I know that it would take me way more than $100 dollars worth of my time and materials to make a similar outfit, so bought one and I'm still very happy with it (I fell in love with it all over again just looking at it to tell you about it). I totally understand not wanting to buy one, it all comes down to personal choice.
Susan
who is done running on ;)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/delbelcoure
Does this, will this, enhance my life or the lives of others?
-Don Aslett
Ack! I'm being overrun by Monster High dolls and frankendollies!
delbelcoure
the walls have dolliehs

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Let's Talk!