Go to footer

The Sock Stigma

The place for those OT discussions that you just HAVE to share in a doll themed forum.

The Sock Stigma

Postby skookum hime » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:06 pm

So, I know a lot of us from over here have stumbled upon this topic over on Den of Angels. The sock dress is under heated discussion, and being that we are a forum of mostly sock lovers, what is the general consensus here?

Personally, its a sock, or sock material. I only go eew if its an old dirty sock. Other than that, its not a big deal. Wouldn't you agree or do you disagree?
skookum hime
Dolly Pardon

Re: The Sock Stigma

Postby Greyhaunt » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:34 pm

Anyone who has issues with making a dress, or pants, or sweater or anything else out of a sock is just being elitist and snobby! Socks are a great way for beginners to overcome fear of sewing and they are the perfect "fabric" for making sweaters and sweater like stuff.

Remember - THEY only did a sock contest AFTER Junkyspot did!
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby DollyKim » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:19 pm

Having tossed two beloved pairs of sox in the scrap bag, after they've been washed ofcourse, I see gingerbread man and sleeping cats sweaters in my dolls' future.

I just wonder what trivial OMG it's the end of the world! thing they'll think of next?
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Resu » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:47 pm

I don't like sewing sock clothes at all, but it's more because I ended up stabbing my fingers with the needle more than I do when I sew with fabric, than anything else. XD

I don't dislike seeing sock clothes, though, because some people are capable of making something totally amazing with them.
Resu
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby Eseme » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:53 pm

I haven't used them yet myself, mostly due to not having done much sewing for my dolls.

I think the knit on a sock is much more in scale with a doll than anything I could knit myself or obtain from another source. So I think it is a great idea.
Eseme
the walls have dolliehs

Postby TieflingBoy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:30 pm

I used to work with socks, when I was a kid, but like Resu I stabbed myself too many times. (Cotton-spandex blends, what can I say?)

I never realized there was a big stigma to it. I mean, socks are cheap and good for practice. White fabric and thread are far more forgiving than colored fabrics and threads.
TieflingBoy
i see dead dolliehs

Postby K2! » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:10 pm

Greyhaunt wrote:Remember - THEY only did a sock contest AFTER Junkyspot did!

And a lot of their "winners" opened the socks up and used them like regular pieces of fabric.
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby victoriavictrix » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:23 pm

I called out the haters. The ones that basically said "If you can't afford to buy fancy clothing you are too poor to be in our club!" I called them "Heathers."

Sadly, I don't think any of them got it.
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby embyquinn » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:49 pm

I was very active in the sock dress debate, but I finally had to step away when the only responses I got were snippy and bordering-on-insulting comments about the semantics I used.

Is it just me, or are the very ones who are "sick" of being called "elitist snobs" the most guilty of acting that very way? Hey, if it looks like a duck...
"Dolls love to be played with. They are lonesome if you leave them always in a box. How would you like to be left day after day alone, with no one to love you?"
embyquinn
the walls have dolliehs

Postby -T2P- » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:24 am

Almost every debate thread always breaks down into a rich vs poor slugfest really i'm just kind of sick of them. To be honest i've always kinda gotten the vibe form Doa that certain people feel that cheaper things (dolls, clothes) make the hobby look 'tacky' and that they would love to make the hobby more of a gaited community. It's sad but true.
-T2P-
i see dead dolliehs

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Let's Talk!