Go to footer

The Sock Stigma

The place for those OT discussions that you just HAVE to share in a doll themed forum.

Re: The Sock Stigma

Postby GooglyDooglyV.2 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:26 pm

skookum hime wrote:
GooglyDooglyV.2 wrote: It was never about rich vs poor. People never said that you should only buy expensive clothing for your dolls. It's all about whether a badly fitting fitting sock dress is appropriate for a $$$$ doll, when there are extremely cheap, or sometimes free options.

i blatantly remember one member saying "why buy a 600 dollar doll if you won't dress it to look worth 600 dollars" and believe the same person said that if you didn't have money for the hobby then it wasn't the right hobby for you.

That was the only mean and hateful comment that I distinctly remember and its probably what set everyone off.

See, I didn't read that as someone saying that you should dress your doll expensively. Because to me, a nicely made outfit, no matter how cheap or inexpensive it was to make, will only enhance your doll's looks.

But a badly done outfit (whether its made out of sock or whatever) can only make your doll look less. That's why when we shop for clothes, we like to buy nice outfits, and if we can get them cheaply, all the more the better, right?

Who here buys clothes that makes you look bad? Who here wears clothes that's not flattering to you? The price is not the factor, but how it makes you look in the end. It's the same way with sock dresses. A poorly made sock dress can and will make your doll looks cheap. A nicely made one will compliment your doll.

But the people who were offended on that thread were already offended long before someone made that comment. They're already imagining a witch hunt before even reading what the people there were actually saying.
GooglyDooglyV.2
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby GooglyDooglyV.2 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:36 pm

embyquinn wrote:
Googly, what I keep trying to remind people of is that the so-call sock thread did not start out in Debate. It was only moved to the debate forum after it went from a discussion to, well, a debate. Therefore, when I first posted (and when I did, I said absolutely nothing against people who didn't like sock clothing--in fact, I never said anything was wrong with not liking sock clothing), it was a discussion, which meant there was a different standard of expectation. It was only when certain people started trotting out the whole "If you can't afford to dress your doll properly, you don't need to be in the hobby" nonsense that I started getting miffed.

From what I gather, the OP posted that in a GD, but it doesn't change the fact that the OP *did* ask for people's opinions. In fact, she even posted several questions that specifically asked for their opinions.

It was moved to the Debate section because that's what the thread is about. Debating why some people don't like sock dresses. So the people answered.

It's one thing if the OP said something like, "OMG I can't believe people like sock dresses!!! Guys, how many of you hate sock dresses like me??" Then yes, that's rude and elitist. But in fact, its quite the opposite. It seemed like the OP was offended that sock dresses aren't more widely accepted, and wanted to know why people don't like them.
GooglyDooglyV.2

Postby haruredjen » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:56 pm

GooglyDooglyV.2 wrote:Who here buys clothes that makes you look bad? Who here wears clothes that's not flattering to you? The price is not the factor, but how it makes you look in the end.

Who? Me, that's who. And guess why... because I can't afford nicer clothes. The clearance rack at Target has limited possibilities. And yes, that is really where I buy 90% of my clothes. I fill the rest in at the thrift store. And by far they aren't particularly flattering. This is not hyperbole. Just ask the girls.

Maybe some people really don't have the insight and ability to truly understand a different perspective than their own. Perhaps that's the heart of the whole issue.
haruredjen
dolliehs are watching me O.O;

Postby GooglyDooglyV.2 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:11 pm

haruredjen wrote:
GooglyDooglyV.2 wrote:Who here buys clothes that makes you look bad? Who here wears clothes that's not flattering to you? The price is not the factor, but how it makes you look in the end.

Who? Me, that's who. And guess why... because I can't afford nicer clothes. The clearance rack at Target has limited possibilities. And yes, that is really where I buy 90% of my clothes. I fill the rest in at the thrift store. And by far they aren't particularly flattering. This is not hyperbole. Just ask the girls.

By nice, I meant something that you look good in. :) It's not the price factor, or whether you got them from thrift stores. I know some plaid outfits that can cost up to $200, but you wouldn't catch me wearing one. I look HORRID in plaid. >>

Maybe some people really don't have the insight and ability to truly understand a different perspective than their own. Perhaps that's the heart of the whole issue.

Very true. But so is the fact that some people seems to not get that sometimes, the truth is simply that, the truth. It's neither nice nor mean. It's just the truth.
GooglyDooglyV.2

Postby Greyhaunt » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:15 pm

I, on the other hand, am one of those people on whom a custom designed Versace would look like a potato sack :lol: :lol: :lol: Seriously, if it fits, and it's comfortable I probably don't give a damn what it looks like - and if you smash me into "fancy duds" I feel like a pig in a prom dress :lol: :lol:
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby catzilerella » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:04 pm

I wear some stuff that isn't flattering but it's comfy - like a sock dress.
There is no truth in opinions.
What you think is ugly or lazy maybe not be so to someone else.
This whole issue is just a matter of opinion, there is no right, no wrong and definitely no truth.
catzilerella
i see dead dolliehs

Postby catzilerella » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:13 pm

Kirahfaye wrote:Okay, forgive me for my giggle, but . . . here we are debating how people debate . . . hehehehehe

Maybe it's the lack of sleep . . . . :lol:

haha
I think so...
with all the analogies it makes you think there is some point. WE are not trying to prove some point it's just opinions.

I don't think it was meant to be a repeat/debate in the first place. You were just supposto answer the questions give your opinions and move on.
WE can't really debate about dolls in socks.. but yet... we are. hahaha
LIke it was a real life issue.
bahahaha

it's funny.
catzilerella
i see dead dolliehs

Postby Greyhaunt » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:22 pm

So, here is the thing...I believe that we have fairly well and truly covered this topic, and I've had at least one request to close it down and ask folks to quietly move along. However, I'm not fully comfortable doing that because I don't feel that the topic has gotten flamey or nasty (yet) and one of the things that I personally dislike in a forum is when a mod shuts down a thread based more on their own opinion as opposed to the concensus of the users. Therefore I am going to try an experiment. If i can, I'm going to add a poll to this thread which I'd like folks to vote on. Based on the results (or if things start getting bad here) I will make my decision.
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby GooglyDooglyV.2 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:53 pm

Dammit, I was gonna post pictures of sockdresses that i will make tonight on this thread. :(

But if you must, you must.
GooglyDooglyV.2

Postby catzilerella » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:00 pm

I don't think it needs to be shut down, but it has been covered sufficiently.
I think if it stays open people should just post their thoughts and dolls in sock dresses. =p Why debate about it. No points need to be made, of course you can't help it sometimes.

^_^
catzilerella
i see dead dolliehs

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Let's Talk!