Go to footer

The Sock Stigma

The place for those OT discussions that you just HAVE to share in a doll themed forum.

Re: The Sock Stigma

Postby skookum hime » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:08 pm

i think everyone is in agreeance here, since this never got hotter than luke-warm tea lol no need to shut it down! just no more opinions, and fill the thread with sock dresses/sock clothes lol
skookum hime
Dolly Pardon

Postby victoriavictrix » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:47 pm

Lou, this is the post that turned the temperature up on my temper.

"If you can't afford to dress your doll well, you shouldn't be in the hobby."

This was followed by some fraktard saying something to the effect of "If you can't afford it, you shouldn't buy a lamborghini."

THOSE are mean, nasty, outright vicious comments. "You are not rich enough/good enough to be in OUR club" as if buying a hunk of plastic automatically puts you in the Tres Elites from which the peasants should be excluded.

And I have to say this...I have found LESS elitism in collector car circles than on DoA. Seriously. Well, except maybe Ferrarri owners. For the rest? Someone rescues a collector car from the Doom of the scrapyard, even if they can't really afford or have the skills to make it look like a Concourse car, people still applaud the effort "Oh thank ghod you rescued her from the wrecker" and often turn around and throw in THEIR time on the weekend to help make her look better.

The Heathers on DoA don't do anything but whittle away at peoples' self-esteem.
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby haruredjen » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:00 pm

catzilerella wrote:I don't think it needs to be shut down, but it has been covered sufficiently.
I think if it stays open people should just post their thoughts and dolls in sock dresses. =p Why debate about it. No points need to be made, of course you can't help it sometimes.

^_^

See, this is what it was meant to be/should have been on DoA in the first place. Which is why I feel it shouldn't have been moved to debate, and mods should have politely interjected some calming, moderating comments to keep the nasties from nastying. But yeah...

I voted to shut this thread down, only because even though it has remained civil up to this point, it's kinda like an annoying itchy scab... sometimes ya just can't help but go back to pick at it, and it eventually ends up being a bloody mess.
haruredjen
dolliehs are watching me O.O;

Postby GooglyDooglyV.2 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:11 pm

victoriavictrix wrote:Lou, this is the post that turned the temperature up on my temper.

"If you can't afford to dress your doll well, you shouldn't be in the hobby."

This was followed by some fraktard saying something to the effect of "If you can't afford it, you shouldn't buy a lamborghini."

THOSE are mean, nasty, outright vicious comments. "You are not rich enough/good enough to be in OUR club" as if buying a hunk of plastic automatically puts you in the Tres Elites from which the peasants should be excluded.

And I have to say this...I have found LESS elitism in collector car circles than on DoA. Seriously. Well, except maybe Ferrarri owners. For the rest? Someone rescues a collector car from the Doom of the scrapyard, even if they can't really afford or have the skills to make it look like a Concourse car, people still applaud the effort "Oh thank ghod you rescued her from the wrecker" and often turn around and throw in THEIR time on the weekend to help make her look better.

The Heathers on DoA don't do anything but whittle away at peoples' self-esteem.

I did remember that particular comment, but now I can't find that particular comment. I do know it existed, because people did respond to it.

One response did catch my eye: Out of 12 or so pages, there's only one, possibly two comments like that. And now there's 20 pages, and still, only 1 or 2 recorded posts like that.

To me, that doesn't count as witch hunt. Just individual jerks. But must we judge a whole swath of people, based on the comment of one or two people? Judge five to eight thousand active members from the words of a few?

Do we now disregard all the civil, polite, and well-thought arguments of a lot of people, just because someone made an asanine comment.

And must we now label those who have posted civil, polite, and well-thought of arguments the same way as we label those one or two jerks?

And there's always a few like that in all hobbies. You should see the "elitism" there is in military modeling community. Kits that's made in China, Korea (like Academy), or American/Western kit manufacturers (Like Revell/MonoGram) are deemed wholly inferior compared to the Japanese manufacturers like Hasegawa or Tamiya.

But I have yet to see someone in any modeling forum/community voiced hurt feelings why their preferred non-Japanese kits are shunned. :shock:
GooglyDooglyV.2
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby GooglyDooglyV.2 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:18 pm

haruredjen wrote:See, this is what it was meant to be/should have been on DoA in the first place. Which is why I feel it shouldn't have been moved to debate, and mods should have politely interjected some calming, moderating comments to keep the nasties from nastying. But yeah...

I voted to shut this thread down, only because even though it has remained civil up to this point, it's kinda like an annoying itchy scab... sometimes ya just can't help but go back to pick at it, and it eventually ends up being a bloody mess.

The DoA mods usually only interfere if someone is directly attacking someone, or saying something so flagrantly foul, or if someone is breaking a rule.

And the best way to scratch an itch is to not scratch the scab directly, but to scratch around it.

I meant that as a metaphor somehow....but during the course of typing it, I completely forgot what I meant and all I could think of is scratching a scab... :geek:
GooglyDooglyV.2

Postby victoriavictrix » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:49 pm

I definitely remember more than one or two of those nasty comments; more like close to twenty. I have the feeling the mods deleted them when they moved the topic to "debate." This is because ALL the comments by JennyNemesis are gone.

Well in that case, good for the mods in pulling the rug out from under the Heathers. For once.
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Llwynog » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:22 am

GooglyDooglyV.2 wrote:Dammit, I was gonna post pictures of sockdresses that i will make tonight on this thread. :(

But if you must, you must.

Pictures would only get lost in this thread. I say put them in the Fashion gallery.

I've been doodling around with the idea of a sock gown myself.
Llwynog
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby Kirahfaye » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:29 am

Llwynog wrote:
GooglyDooglyV.2 wrote:Dammit, I was gonna post pictures of sockdresses that i will make tonight on this thread. :(

But if you must, you must.

Pictures would only get lost in this thread. I say put them in the Fashion gallery.

I've been doodling around with the idea of a sock gown myself.

I agree! To the Fashion gallery! :D
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby Greyhaunt » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:23 am

I definitely advocate starting a sock thread in the fashion gallery rather than here :)
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby GooglyDooglyV.2 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:50 am

Well fine! Don't say I didn't warn you.
GooglyDooglyV.2

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Let's Talk!