Go to footer

Is this normal?

The place for those OT discussions that you just HAVE to share in a doll themed forum.

Is this normal?

Postby DeadlyVixen » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:54 pm

Okay so all the dolls that I have are either Dollfie, Obitsu,Super Dollfie or Dollfie Dream. They are all aimed at adults. I got into them because they are pretty much like the figures I collect but with hair lol. I've never been interested in the dolls aimed at children, even as a child. I find nothing appealing about barbie,bratz, or Moxie. However, recently I've become obsessed with Japan's Takara Jenny dolls. They cost as much as adult-aimed dolls but are aimed at children in Japan. Suddenly I find myself wanting the room sets, fashion packs, and frilly furniture :shock:

I find it weird since I was never much into dolls as a child. I know a large amount of adults collect Jenny but the sudden urge to want to buy these cute and pretty ladies is new to me. I feel like I did the reverse, going from adult-aimed dolls to the more child-aimed doll. I know Jenny still has the Anime aesthetic and is Japanese so it isn't much of a leap like say going from a Resin SD to a barbie doll but still there is a difference in aesthetic. Not only do I want to display them but I want to play with them and their little room sets XD (my dolls I have now I display in a case, mostly untouched). I have an internal struggle between buying them and collecting them(since the ones I want are quite expensive) or actually opening them and playing with them, which makes me feel childish at times :oops:
I hope I was able to articulate myself.

Has this happened to anyone? I really want to hear from those in a similar situation, or who have felt the same way.
DeadlyVixen
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Re: Is this normal?

Postby Resu » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:00 am

It's totally normal. XD

Heck, I didn't play with dolls much either. I was the kind of girl who played with toy cars and Legos more than anything. Now? Dolls everywhere in my room! :lol:
Resu
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby Glace Leau » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:22 am

Why wouldn't it be? As an adult, you're savvy enough to ignore the marketing and pick a doll you like. No shame in that!

And I don't think it's weird to want to play with them, either. If that's how you enjoy them, why not? There are plenty of collectors who play with their dolls. And I know that posing my crew and setting up scenes is really therapeutic.

As a kid, I mostly liked to play with Barbie's accessories and furniture. Her cats went on adventures. (I think this is because I thought Barbies of that era were ugly... still do XD) The dolls were all donated when I was around ten. Fast forward to a few years ago, I got drawn into BJDs and the creative customizing aspect. Bought a couple. Enjoy them.

From there I start looking into Dollfie and Obitsu; the customizing and posing of BJDs, but smaller and more affordable! I start browsing around the pink aisles and thrift stores to find stuff for them and realize that there's a lot of variety in there, and they could look just as nice with a face wipe and a good body... wait, there are posable Barbies! Cue headswapping madness. I have replaced a Dollfie head with an MGA-made BFC head. I have Barbie-Obitsus, Bratz-Barbies, boy Bratz-Dollfies, and a GI Joe-High School Musical doll. I apparently know no boundaries.
Where did all these 1/6s come from?!
Glace Leau
i see dead dolliehs

Postby Geektopian » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:24 am

Not precisely the same situation as you because I've had an interest in dolls/action figures/miniatures of various types for as long as I can remember. However, what I think has happen is that, having spent some time in this hobby, your level of acceptance and/or personal comfort has increased and you find yourself more amenable to collecting dolls you would have over-looked in the past. Nothing odd about that.

For me, stuff like Azone's Pure Neemo line is much more interesting than it would've been a few years ago. And while I'm still not dashing off to buy a bunch of 1/4 or 1/3 scale dolls, I have a greater appreciation for them than I once did.

Also, while this sort of re-states what I previously said, I think it's pretty normal (at least within the doll hobby) to want to engage in some form of play. I don't think it's wrong to be concerned about being "childish" but don't let that concern put a damper on having fun and enjoying your hobby. You can collect and enjoy dolls while still having a fully normal adult life. Yes, there's a danger in become too immersed but that danger lies in almost any activity. Being aware of and concerned with such issues and not wishing them to become a problem for you is simply being rational and mature.
Geektopian
Der Kommissar

Postby DeadlyVixen » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:49 am

Thanks for the replies everyone, it really makes me feel better ^__^

I was the type to just collect and keep them in their box, my partner plays with his toys which I never thought about doing much but recently I've opened a few and realized how much more enjoyable it is to play with them :lol:

I've decided to open my upcoming Jenny doll and just enjoy her, after all that is the reason I bought her!
DeadlyVixen
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Postby DollyKim » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:24 am

Jenny is wonderful, welcome to her cult :P

We all come to our dolls for different reasons, I grew up with them and only have one action figure I plan to keep MIB (Shran the Andorian) pretty much because he's too big to play with the other Trekkers. Dolls love to play, and they don't mind it if you work out issues with them because they're understanding and they won't tell your secrets.

With wanting everything let your adult brain take over. Stick to a budget, stick to a certain style, stick to the fun to play with idea.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby richila » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:41 am

DeadlyVixen wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone, it really makes me feel better ^__^

I was the type to just collect and keep them in their box, my partner plays with his toys which I never thought about doing much but recently I've opened a few and realized how much more enjoyable it is to play with them :lol:

I've decided to open my upcoming Jenny doll and just enjoy her, after all that is the reason I bought her!

Congratulations! I play with my Planet Doll Minis. They have rooms, furniture, dishes, food and clothing for almost every occassion. Shriara is the most spoiled-she is also my trunk doll. I am making her a middle Victorian Wardrobe in addition to her modern wardrobe. (I just finished a lined bolero for a 27 cm doll.)The best part of the doll hobby for me is the play. I love little rooms and all of the accessories.
richila
I have no life but dolliehs

Return to Board index

Return to Let's Talk!