Go to footer

Projects: In Progess or Ideas? What'choo Workin' On?

The place for those OT discussions that you just HAVE to share in a doll themed forum.

Re: Projects: In Progess or Ideas? What'choo Workin' On?

Postby Kattriella » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:51 am

Just finished my first full reroot at around 2 a.m. this morning. (Finally, my insomnia had a use.) I couldn't find my fabric glue to save my life, so I squirted his head full of tacky glue and I'm hoping for the best. It still hasn't dried after around 9 hours, bit the hair is holding secure, and it held on long enough for my impatient self to pour boiling water over his head (and my fingers, ow). Now I have to wait for everything to dry so I can reunite him with his body after all these months.

The reroot itself only took 6-8 hours. In hindsight, though, I probably should have picked literally anything but an Integrity Toys doll for my first reroot. Their heads are super hard, and this little devil has broken a total of about 11 needles between two different attempts to reroot him, 5 of them happening over the last two days. (And not just the eye snapping, this guy wanted to go the extra mile. And snap one of them completely in half and make me pry it out of his head.) And if he wasn't snapping needs, he was shoving them up into my tool and making me unscrew it to shake them out. (My poor fingers are raw.) I'm sure most of my struggles are because I've got no idea what I'm doing, but during the last hour, I DID start to develop a few tricks to make it easier that I'm going to apply to my next one. (Considering I have at least 5 more IT dolls to reroot by the time I get my hands on the last ones I'm searching for, I'd better come up with some tricks . . .)
Kattriella
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby SetsunaKou » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:16 am

Kattriella wrote:Just finished my first full reroot at around 2 a.m. this morning. (Finally, my insomnia had a use.) I couldn't find my fabric glue to save my life, so I squirted his head full of tacky glue and I'm hoping for the best. It still hasn't dried after around 9 hours, bit the hair is holding secure, and it held on long enough for my impatient self to pour boiling water over his head (and my fingers, ow). Now I have to wait for everything to dry so I can reunite him with his body after all these months.

The reroot itself only took 6-8 hours. In hindsight, though, I probably should have picked literally anything but an Integrity Toys doll for my first reroot. Their heads are super hard, and this little devil has broken a total of about 11 needles between two different attempts to reroot him, 5 of them happening over the last two days. (And not just the eye snapping, this guy wanted to go the extra mile. And snap one of them completely in half and make me pry it out of his head.) And if he wasn't snapping needs, he was shoving them up into my tool and making me unscrew it to shake them out. (My poor fingers are raw.) I'm sure most of my struggles are because I've got no idea what I'm doing, but during the last hour, I DID start to develop a few tricks to make it easier that I'm going to apply to my next one. (Considering I have at least 5 more IT dolls to reroot by the time I get my hands on the last ones I'm searching for, I'd better come up with some tricks . . .)

Yay! Congratulations!!! Rerooting heads is definitely finger-hurting! Especially on the hard head dolls. :hugs: Great job!!!
I do have a tip for you for your next IT head (or Tonner head) ---boil the head before you start rooting and the head will soften up and the rooting will be easier (and break less needles) for a while. Then, when the head starts to harden/cool, just dip it in really hot water (not boiling if you are using saran or kanekalon hair or they might frizz) to soften the vinyl and keep on rooting. :)

Can't wait to see your photos!!!! Again, congratulations on your first reroot!!!!!
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Kattriella » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:29 pm

SetsunaKou wrote:
Kattriella wrote:Just finished my first full reroot at around 2 a.m. this morning. (Finally, my insomnia had a use.) I couldn't find my fabric glue to save my life, so I squirted his head full of tacky glue and I'm hoping for the best. It still hasn't dried after around 9 hours, bit the hair is holding secure, and it held on long enough for my impatient self to pour boiling water over his head (and my fingers, ow). Now I have to wait for everything to dry so I can reunite him with his body after all these months.

Yay! Congratulations!!! Rerooting heads is definitely finger-hurting! Especially on the hard head dolls. :hugs: Great job!!!
I do have a tip for you for your next IT head (or Tonner head) ---boil the head before you start rooting and the head will soften up and the rooting will be easier (and break less needles) for a while. Then, when the head starts to harden/cool, just dip it in really hot water (not boiling if you are using saran or kanekalon hair or they might frizz) to soften the vinyl and keep on rooting. :)

Can't wait to see your photos!!!! Again, congratulations on your first reroot!!!!!

I actually tried that on him the first time I tried to reroot him. He broke six needles in less than an hour. His head kept cooling down too fast and the needle was getting stuck and snapping inside his head, or slicing through the hair instead of going in his head. His character hates the heat, so maybe he just didn't like having his head heated? (He's a feisty little bugger . . .) Also, I probably shouldn't have picked a doll where I was changing his hairline AND part line as my first reroot, but at least I've learned some thing along the way.
Kattriella

Postby Janeway » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:02 pm

I am crocheting stuff for obitus 1/3@1/4. I made a post on FB BJD sales page group.

Now just to come up with a name for my crochet shop.
Janeway
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Kattriella » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:42 pm

Just finished a couch for my 1:6 scale dolliehs, now I'm crocheting a throw blanket and digging out fabric for cushions and pillows for it.
Kattriella

Postby DollyKim » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:43 am

Let's try putting this in the right post this time, derp

Sassy Twink

The Hardly Blokes

Not A Couple
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:16 pm

The Littlest Pet Shop Boys getting closer to being done.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Kattriella » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:59 pm

Current plans: Buy one of the 48" tall dragon skeleton decorations from Big Lots and spend the winter turning into an actual giant dragon for my 1:6 scale dolls. Her name is Opalescence and she likes cookies.
Kattriella

Postby Dark Angel » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:35 pm

DollyKim wrote:Image
The Littlest Pet Shop Boys getting closer to being done.

They're coming along nicely!

Kattriella wrote:Current plans: Buy one of the 48" tall dragon skeleton decorations from Big Lots and spend the winter turning into an actual giant dragon for my 1:6 scale dolls. Her name is Opalescence and she likes cookies.

What a great idea! I'd love to see pictures. Even (and especially) progress pictures.
My Family:
Angel, Madison, Morgan, Dog, Egyp, Zurui, Willow, Pandora, Meadow, Camille, Sazuki, Eros, Knox, Mishell, Kirin, Chili, Jack, Carmen, Levi, Dimitri, Sun Wukong, Jezzebelle, Ellie, Ayato, Adrian, Lulu, Dagon, Nick
Dark Angel
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:20 pm

@Dark Angel Thanks :)

@Katteriella Can't wait to see!

Not so many Tears but lots of Fears they won't work out.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Let's Talk!