Go to footer

An Epistolary Introduction

Show us your dollieh household and tell us their bios. (formerly Figure Biographies)

An Epistolary Introduction

Postby E-Beth » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:48 pm

Regina wasting paper. Again.

Letter #1

Guelph, Ontario
21 August, 1939

Today is my 15th birthday and Meely, my big sister, said I should tell you a little bit about myself. (Meely, well really Amelia, is n't here right now, but she should be home soon, she 's travelling. She is a big bossy-boots even when she's not here.)
I have the best chickens in 4H and I like to sew. I love music and going to the movie theatre- I saw Bringing up Baby - it was so funny and K. Hepburn was great! And C. Grant is so smooth, even though he is a bit old. I wonder how they trained that leopard - I'd be scared witless to work with a leopard!
I live in Guelph, right in town, with Amelia. She is a widow (Mr. Wilcombe was killed in a tragic farming accident and after she moved here I came to keep company and go to the High School. I want to be a teacher and Guelph has a good school.)
It is really quiet here without Meely but I have found some friends at the school and Mrs. Gordon next door looks after me. I miss the lake in the summer but town is nice, and I like staying with my sister.
Well, that's all I can think of to say right now.

Yours sincerely,
Regina M. Montgomery
(but everybody calls me Queenie)

Letter #2

At Sea
August, 1939

I've been travelling for quite a while, so I'm a bit disoriented (that's some small humour, since I recently left the East). I will be home soon, sooner would have been better, what with the Sino-Japan war and the unrest in the Continent. I also, of course, miss my family, even the irrepressible Queenie, who has gotten up to who-knows-what in my absence. I hope she is not too much trouble.
It will come as no surprise to you who know me well, that I have decided teaching is not for me, however, I expect to find employment as a typist in Guelph, so that should keep us fed and clothed.
Speaking of which, I don't believe Queenie mentioned in her letter to you that she is a fine seamstress. I'm quite sure she mentioned those chickens, she never fails to mention the chickens. She is a bright and bubbly girl and my light in the darkness.

I have enclosed a picture taken on my travels. Can you imagine? A fellow traveller has brought an entire portable photographic outfit. He tells me he dives headfirst under the covers to change films.

Sincerely,
Mrs. Amelia J. Wilcombe

Letter #3

Guelph
24 August 1939

School starts soon and I did not look at my Latin as much as I should have! Uncle struggled with his Latin (of course, he was studying medicine) also so I do n't feel so alone.
It is still warm and I've planned out a swimsuit for next summer. I'm already taller than Meely and I don't know if I'll keep growing, but I suppose I ought to make a two piece to be safe: daring! I wonder if Meely wants one?
George (my little brother who lives with our parents up on the Sound) says the fields are all plowed and ready for the winter wheat. Mother (or maybe Eva - I have a lot of siblings) made him write a letter to me, for practice. He does n't like writing, I can tell. He's not much good, really.
Some animal, a fox? got half of my chickens, including my best layer, but I still have more eggs than I can use. I take them to the market in the mornings. Mr. Gordon is helping me strengthen the coop so hopefully there will be no more depredations. (There, I hope that is a long enough word - Meely says my writing is too babyish sometimes).
Meely decided she does n't like to teach! I can't imagine that. Even though the Gordon children are sometimes difficult, I've had fun this summer catching them up on their maths. Oooh! That's my excuse for Latin.
I must close now

Affectionately,
Queenie
E-Beth
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Sanctuaries