Go to footer

Custom AG Wigs

Did you make that doll/wig/chair/whatever? No, really did you? Show us your finished products here! Post "How To's" in Tutorials

Custom AG Wigs

Postby koratheexplora » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:51 pm

I know American Girl Dolls aren't super popular here but I really wanted to share the wigs I made and am so proud of.

I about a year ago I was gifted some human hair extensions from a friend who only needed a few pieces to clip in for a costume but ended up buying the whole package because it was cheaper. She said maybe I could use the hair for dolls somehow. And so the addiction of hair collecting was born.

I had rerooted a fashion doll with yaki kanekalon before and then gave the doll over 100 micro braids (I should post about this soon... what board does that fall under?). So I wasn't new to hair manipulating, but I had never made a wig. So I watched a lot of tutorials and had a lot of trial and error moments but at the end I was actually left with a halfway decent straight unparted yaki human hair wig.

And then I needed to go to the hair supply store ASAP because I couldn't stop. I bought a bunch of hair but I've only had time to make two wigs so far. Here are the results:

More pics can be found on my flickr.

I was using caps from wigs that had been from cut (read butchered) AG wigs, but now I have a wig cap supplier. These are human hair in 5" to 7" lengths. It feels unbelievably soft and springy. I can't wait to make more.
koratheexplora
i see dead dolliehs

Re: Custom AG Wigs

Postby Nella » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:07 pm

Wow, they look great! Especially the curly ones. :)
Nella
the walls have dolliehs

Postby koratheexplora » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:58 pm

Nella wrote:Wow, they look great! Especially the curly ones. :)

Thank you!
koratheexplora
i see dead dolliehs

Postby Kirahfaye » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:02 am

We love any dolls, so don't be concerned about any not appearing to be "popular". :D And I love those wigs?! Wow! I would never have thought about wigs for such big girls, but they look awesome.
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby Linsilee » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:36 am

Wow...you did a great job on the wigs. I love how they look. I have three American Girl dolls, I don't do as much with them as some of my other dolls but they are still among my favorites and would never part with them.
Linsilee
Dolly Pardon

Postby zirconmermaid » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:02 am

Very nice! American Girl dolls are cute, and I like the new looks you gave them.
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby Pandor » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:31 pm

Your wigs are awesome! :D I've been pondering trying wigmaking, since I'm not crazy about rooting or rerooting, seeing your wigs has me all inspired againn. :D
Pandor
the walls have dolliehs

Postby koratheexplora » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:01 pm

Kirahfaye wrote:We love any dolls, so don't be concerned about any not appearing to be "popular". :D And I love those wigs?! Wow! I would never have thought about wigs for such big girls, but they look awesome.

HAHA. Ok, I'm new here so I never know if the dolls I post are going to be anything anyone here is interested in. Yes, the dolls come with wigs and you can't root them so I've done a few wig swaps in my time. I figured wig making was the next step. I haven't figured out parts or bangs yet. I can't seem to find tutorials on how best to make those, so I've just been doing a lot of trial and MUCH error. haha
koratheexplora
i see dead dolliehs

Postby koratheexplora » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:04 pm

Linsilee wrote:Wow...you did a great job on the wigs. I love how they look. I have three American Girl dolls, I don't do as much with them as some of my other dolls but they are still among my favorites and would never part with them.

They can be just as expensive to dress as some of the BJDs depending upon where you are shopping. So yeah I understand not being able to give them as much attention. But I love mine. I have 29 right now. :D Which 3 do you have?
koratheexplora
i see dead dolliehs

Postby koratheexplora » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:13 pm

Pandor wrote:Your wigs are awesome! :D I've been pondering trying wigmaking, since I'm not crazy about rooting or rerooting, seeing your wigs has me all inspired againn. :D

I'd be happy to help. I tried my hand at making the caps myself but didn't like how they came out (a bit lumpy) so I am glad I was able to find a supplier. But I've heard for smaller dolls wig caps can be really easy to make either sewn or plastic like with glue.
koratheexplora
i see dead dolliehs

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Custom Creations