Go to footer

WIP: wooden bjd-ish doll

Did you make that doll/wig/chair/whatever? No, really did you? Show us your finished products here! Post "How To's" in Tutorials

Re: WIP: wooden bjd-ish doll

Postby Anderson'sAllPurpose » Mon May 25, 2015 8:16 pm

DollyKim wrote:For a double elbow or knee start with a double ball peanut like shape then flatten out the long sides, if that makes sense.

Yeah, I know approximately what shape they need to be, it's just the actual carving them I'm dreading.
dollieh pics|old dollieh rants|ALL NEW dollieh rants
OMG, I can't believe I'm almost 11 and still play with Barbie dolls! If anyone find out I'm gonna die!!!1!
- my diary, c. 1991

...How long has that "s" in my signature been missing? - me, 2016
Anderson'sAllPurpose
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby DollyKim » Tue May 26, 2015 5:10 am

What about making an example out of clay? Sometimes I do better if I have an example I can hold and compare to.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Anderson'sAllPurpose » Tue May 26, 2015 6:00 pm

DollyKim wrote:What about making an example out of clay? Sometimes I do better if I have an example I can hold and compare to.

That might be a good idea, or maybe I could just make the joints out of clay but use wood for the rest. I'll try that some time.

Wooden double knee joints for now:

WIP double knee joints by Anderson's All-Purpose, on Flickr

What I've learned so far is this isn't a very good type of joint for knees. It's way too weak, but since basswood is pretty light it might still work. Also they don't fit very well because I didn't want to spend the whole night filing a tiny wooden ball. I had to string it as tight as I could so it wouldn't wobble too much, and I'm a bit worried of the string cutting into the wood on the inside of the torso. But I figure if that happens at least I know what not to do.

knees 2 by Anderson's All-Purpose, on Flickr

I should redo the upper arms since I never could get the shoulder joints symmetrical and they keep springing up above her head, but I'm not sure I'll bother.
dollieh pics|old dollieh rants|ALL NEW dollieh rants
OMG, I can't believe I'm almost 11 and still play with Barbie dolls! If anyone find out I'm gonna die!!!1!
- my diary, c. 1991

...How long has that "s" in my signature been missing? - me, 2016
Anderson'sAllPurpose
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby OkamiKodomo » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:11 pm

You could always reinforce parts with the epoxy putties designed for repairing wood. You can usually find them in the adhesives section at the hardware store, near the plumbing epoxy. I love the look of this little one.
Too many dollies to list. Check my profile if you wanna know who's who!
OkamiKodomo
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Eseme » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:53 am

OMG! I went to your Flickr and there are a ton of new picsof ver charming wooden BJD's. Please share them here with info on your work. They look wonderful and expressive!

Eseme
Eseme
the walls have dolliehs

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Custom Creations