Go to footer

Wool Wig in 1/6

Did you make that doll/wig/chair/whatever? No, really did you? Show us your finished products here! Post "How To's" in Tutorials

Wool Wig in 1/6

Postby Eseme » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:27 am

I was really bummed a few weeks ago. I'd been planing to buy an Obitsu since April. But, since April, my car has been in the shop for some sort of repair every month. In July, it went in twice. I was upset that I had no cool dolls.

Then I remembered that I not only had the Strawberry Shortcake dolls over in the Tinies forum, I had a couple of Barbies I had grabbed at Goodwill to practice rerooting on. Like many, I do not love rerooting at all…

But I had this bald doll, and I remembered that I could easily make a wig for her. All I needed was my trusty felting needle!

I also took photos form behind (the first one) and the top (the last one). I think the photo from above captures the colors best.

I needle-felted the curly strands together to make the wig, then sewed a wig-cap out of muslin and sewed it inside the wig. It is still loose - you can see the way the wig tilts back on her head too far.

Yesterday I got her a new body, and made some changes to the wig. Because this is the first time I've tried this, I ended up with a wig that really dwarfs her head - it's too thick in places. So last night I needled it down, and it looks quite different now, more under control. I miss some of the wildness though, and I'l try to get that back in the next wig I make.

I will post photos of the new look, I just haven't had a chance to take them.
Eseme
the walls have dolliehs

Re: Wool Wig in 1/6

Postby richila » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:36 am

I like the wig. Did you use wool roving or a yarn?
richila
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby Eseme » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:01 pm

That is wool, though not roving. Roving is combed out - if you did that to these curly locks you'd get an afro!

These are generally called curly locks - some breeds of sheep grow curly fleece. It was dyed by the woman who sold them to me at a spinner's meet-up when I was living in New York. I have also seen curly locks, both dyed fantastic colors and in natural colors for sale at fiber arts festivals. You don't find them in stores much, but they may be a bit more common now that needle-felting has gotten really popular. People who make dolls or figures by needle-felting roving use these locks as hair.
Eseme
the walls have dolliehs

Postby delbelcoure » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:52 pm

I really like the pale rainbow color of the wool and the wild disarray. It's like her hair is joyous :) I never thought of needle felting locks to make a wig; I've got some to try with. I wonder if any of it will suit one of my dolls?
Thanks for the cool idea,
Susan
http://www.flickr.com/photos/delbelcoure
Does this, will this, enhance my life or the lives of others?
-Don Aslett
Ack! I'm being overrun by Monster High dolls and frankendollies!
delbelcoure
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Eseme » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:44 pm

You're welcome! Please, let show us the results if you try. It was such a fun project.

I have tames the wig down a bit, because it was just dwarfing her head too much. Next time I will work to keep the wig thinner - I felted too much onto some areas.

The curly locks would probably be great for short, curly hair on larger dolls.
Eseme
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Indigo » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:02 pm

All those waves and curls are so pretty! This is a lovely wig.
Live to Play, Play to Live!
Indigo
i see dead dolliehs

Postby Eseme » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:11 pm

Thanks! I need to post some updated pics. I needlefelted it a bit more to make the top less poofy. I really like it.

If you've got access to curly locks, they make great hair. I'm going to try making her boots like the ones you showed off. Felting is great!
Eseme
the walls have dolliehs

Return to Board index

Return to Custom Creations