Go to footer

Dyeing a fox orange - Hobbes returns!

Did you make that doll/wig/chair/whatever? No, really did you? Show us your finished products here! Post "How To's" in Tutorials

Dyeing a fox orange - Hobbes returns!

Postby zirconmermaid » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:37 pm

Hobbes used to belong to Gypsymaria, and she took him from Dollzone Normal Yellow skin to the wonderful orange and brown with multiple overlays of pastel seen in his older posts. It took her a very long time and lots of hard work. Sadly, over time Hobbes' wonderful full body blushing started to wear in places.

Also, Hobbes went to live with Diamondclaw (He and Citrine are definitely an item!). Gypsymaria decided that Hobbes needed to be redone, and had him back while she scrubbed off all her hard work. Diamondclaw and I thought we should have a go at actually dyeing him the base color to save Gypsymaria time and effort!

It worked like a charm! We used a tutorial from DoA. The color used is Rit Dye Sunshine Orange (about half the bottle) in a large pot of water with three chopstick dips of Rit Dye Navy. I think we matched his original base color very well too!

Hobbes and two other foxes are off to Gypsymaria now to be faced up and finished off. I'll post pictures of them all here sometime on Monday. Gypsymaria used Friskit to mask off Hobbes' tummy and muzzle, making it easier to keep them lighter.

Just to let you know how very easy this was, it only took 40 seconds in the dye bath for each piece. Since Hobbes is so tiny, it was easy to do several small pieces together. Now that we know how easy it is, I suspect there will be more dyed dolls!

#1 - showing some dyed and some undyed pieces.

#2 - showing more of the same, with some pieces in the bowl we used to keep the left and right parts separate. Also in the foreground is the failed large fox ear cast we used as our test for the dye and the friskit.

#3 - showing how we masked off his tummy.

#4 - showing how the parts that were masked off came out after the dye bath.

Here's a link to one of the posts featuring Hobbes before the boiling dye adventure.

Hobbes version one
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Re: Dyeing a fox orange - Hobbes returns!

Postby -T2P- » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:00 pm

It looks like it came out great! It's a very nice even dye job :D
-T2P-
i see dead dolliehs

Postby Aeilia » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:07 pm

Thanks for posting this! :) It worked out very well; it looks great! I should read that tutorial. This might be an option when I come to colouring the small resin parts (shoes) for my coming RPuki. I was going to use paint, but this might work better for a base colour.
Aeilia
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby zirconmermaid » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:14 am

It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby Aeilia » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:02 am

:D Thanks so much for the link! I'll check it out.
Aeilia
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby Patrice » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:33 pm

Wow! That turned out really well!
Patrice
i see dead dolliehs

Postby leopardessmoon » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:22 pm

wow, that turned out really awsome! I can't wait to see the finished look! thankyou for the link!
leopardessmoon

Postby KatyaR » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:26 pm

Can't follow the link. Do you have to be invited by a mod to join?
KatyaR
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby zirconmermaid » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:00 am

You don't have to be invited to join Junkyspot, however Emory does have to manually approve all new people since otherwise we get spammed a lot.
It's all about Hazel!

zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby KatyaR » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:31 pm

Oops, sorry, zirconmermaid! I meant DoA.
KatyaR
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Return to Board index

Return to Custom Creations