Go to footer

3D printed Props

Did you make that doll/wig/chair/whatever? No, really did you? Show us your finished products here! Post "How To's" in Tutorials

3D printed Props

Postby oniakki » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:48 pm

So while visiting my family, I learned my little brother decided to buy a 3d printer. My first thought went to my dolliehs and their lack of props. I hunted up some 3d models of various things my girls would probably like to have. I decided to start with the basic teapot and cups. I found a model for the tea set on Thingiverse apparently by Makies. I thought the pot looked a lot like my little 2 cup teapot so I scaled the models up so they're about the right size to match the 12cm diameter of the teapot at 1/3rd scale.

I didn't like how the lids sat on the original models (they don't have flanges to hold the lids in place) so I ended up using the sugar bowl's lid for the teapot and an non-resized teapot lid for the sugar bowl. the original sized lid was printed accidentally as I missed the resizing step, but it ended up working out in the end. Though while setting up for the picture I dropped the small lid and broke the little heart handle off it. >.>

They still need some basic sanding, the only post processing I've done was to scrape off the supports (which I'm not sure the models even needed in the first place...)

Printed on a XYZprinting daVinci 1.0 printer, sliced for printing by slic3r, and I think it took about 6-7 hours machine time to print. Software estimates claimed 12ish hours, but the pot itself and normal sized lid was estimated at 6 hours but only took about 3 (forgot to record the time ^.^;;) , and the cups, sugar bowl, scaled lids, and cream... jug? claimed 6 hours but according to the machine only took 3 hours and 24 minutes.
oniakki
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Re: 3D printed Props

Postby K2! » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:11 am

That's pretty cool. I often wondered how fast those machines are.
Oh the things I would make for my girls if I had the time to spend on that stuff...
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby Greyhaunt » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:24 pm

K2! wrote:That's pretty cool. I often wondered how fast those machines are.
Oh the things I would make for my girls if I had the time to spend on that stuff...

Amen! And the ability to 3D model....I have no clue :(
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby maywong » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:09 pm

Very nice.
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby zirconmermaid » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:30 am

Yes, they are really awesome inventions! And K2!, it's not as if the girls don't have enough stuff already!
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby Janeway » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:54 pm

Cool idea. If l could do that l would make table's and chairs. Book cases etc.
Janeway
the walls have dolliehs

Postby animemom » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:38 am

Those turned out very nice. Have you printed anything more recently?
animemom
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Postby oniakki » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:25 am

Sadly nothing really for the dolliehs, mostly been focusing on tabletop wargaming scale (1/56th or so) and cosplay props. I am up to three printers in total now though, just haven't been finding too many things that I like that also scale down to the girl's size and remain printable. I have a Playstation 3 and controller around here someplace for them, and a fancy sword none of which I have photos of at the moment.
oniakki

Postby mollym » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:10 am

I know a couple dolls around here that would love to have a Nintendo Switch their size. I suppose someone out there would probably be happy to make some custom props for dolls. If anyone knows of such a service, I suspect a lot of us would take advantage of it!
Man dolls.... because baby dolls come from somewhere. ;)
mollym
dolliehs are watching me O.O;

Postby oniakki » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:05 pm

Now that I'm getting back into the swing of dollieh things, props should be popping up here more often then never... >.> Yay life.
Hot off the printer (not really, it's been a few hours since it finished printing) is a sword!

The 3d model I used claimed the sword is Astolfo's, but comparing it to the show makes it similar, but I don't think her sword would be the first thing I think of if I saw this one while out and about. The original was supposedly sized for a human, so I scaled it down by 32% (32% as 33% didn't fit on the print bed in one piece) for the girls. Kanata's holding it for scale purposes and I think it ends up being nice a great sword (two handed) at that size. It's almost exactly 14" in length from pommel to tip.

The backside will need a bit more actual cleanup as I just broke off the support material, but all in all it came out amazing. Guess that's one of the benefits of moving back to 1/3rd scale after having tuned the machine to work well at 1/56th scale. It took a total of 15 hours 45 minutes to print.

(note this isn't the fancy sword I mentioned above, the 'fancy sword' was printed on a UV resin printer)
oniakki

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Custom Creations