Go to footer

Sun Wukong WIP

Did you make that doll/wig/chair/whatever? No, really did you? Show us your finished products here! Post "How To's" in Tutorials

Re: Sun Wukong WIP

Postby Dark Angel » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:52 am

Here was my first attempt at making his circlet:

It looked ok if I was holding it. As soon as I let go, though...

It would bounce back to not fitting.

I needed to try something different. I was able to go to the fabric store yesterday (still couldn't find a red chinese looking fabric) and I bought some ribbon. I'm pretty happy with how his new circlet came out, even if it does look a bit "cheap".

My camera has a tendency to make things look kind of green (I think it's because of the ceiling in my room being green??) but the circlet is definitely gold.

I threaded the metal wire through the ribbon and used Velcro in the back to close it so that it's removable. (even though it's not supposed to come off!)

Updated to do list:
-Clothes
-Staff

Getting towards the end! How exciting! I think I'll add to the to do list though. I wanna lightly blush his hands and maybe feet. Give his nails a bit of a dirty look.

I ordered some red fabric from etsy and it could take a while to get here, coming from Hong Kong. But he's slowly coming together and I couldn't be happier!
My Family:
Angel, Madison, Morgan, Dog, Egyp, Zurui, Willow, Pandora, Meadow, Camille, Sazuki, Eros, Knox, Mishell, Kirin, Chili, Jack, Carmen, Levi, Dimitri, Sun Wukong, Jezzebelle, Ellie, Ayato, Adrian, Lulu, Dagon, Nick
Dark Angel
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby maywong » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:59 am

You did a great job. I can't wait to see more.
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby Dark Angel » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:22 pm

Thanks maywong! I'm kind of at a stand still until the fabric arrives... I guess I could work on his staff, though. :)
My Family:
Angel, Madison, Morgan, Dog, Egyp, Zurui, Willow, Pandora, Meadow, Camille, Sazuki, Eros, Knox, Mishell, Kirin, Chili, Jack, Carmen, Levi, Dimitri, Sun Wukong, Jezzebelle, Ellie, Ayato, Adrian, Lulu, Dagon, Nick
Dark Angel

Postby Dark Angel » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:02 pm

Finally an update!! And with pictures!

I got a new family member (a puppy) and he's been taking ALL my time. My poor dollies have been locked away so that they don't become puppy chow. XD

Anyway, last night I decided that I was going to attempt to make his clothes.

That's what I have so far. It still needs a lot of work but I think it's coming along nicely, especially because I'm not following a pattern, I'm just eyeballing it.

I'm going to take in the flaps at the bottom to make them a bit narrower so that it doesn't look like a dress. I need to sew the zipper in the back and shorter the "sleeves" so that its not covering his arms. I also need to fix his collar, but I'm not quite sure how yet. I'm worried that if I sew it closed more, he won't be able to get into it. I'll have to mess around with it and see what I can do. I'd like to add some decoration to his shirt/tunic thing as well so it's not as plain. I'd love to have some of those Asian style knots/buttons to go down the front of it. Maybe a cool belt or sash for around his waist or draped over a shoulder or something. But that sort of thing will have to come later. I still need to finish the tunic and then make him some pants.
My Family:
Dark Angel

Postby Iwa_Hoshi » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:29 am

He seems to be coming along nicely.

I fake my collar this way. Just don't ask me to offer advice on the bias hemming thing, I'm faking that with regular ribbon until I figure it out somehow.
Team of Dolls Bio Team of Dolls on Flickr
Keeping an eye out for props for Dioramas
Iwa_Hoshi
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby Dark Angel » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:32 pm

Iwa_Hoshi wrote:He seems to be coming along nicely.

I fake my collar this way. Just don't ask me to offer advice on the bias hemming thing, I'm faking that with regular ribbon until I figure it out somehow.

Thanks! I'll have to try that. Once I feel ambitious again! :lol:
My Family:
Dark Angel

Postby maywong » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:21 pm

Where is your furry helper? LOL
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby Dark Angel » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:16 pm

Well... I messed it up! :lol: I guess I'm not too upset because I already knew I would.

I closed the shoulders and sewed on the zipper but the tunic was too tight and it ripped on both sides of his torso under the arms. And because the fabric sheds/shreds terribly, I'm not sure I can fix it. Back to square one on the clothes. Wish I was rich, I'd have someone else make his outfit! :roll: Oh well, it's an adventure (for my patience!).

I think I'm going to do his clothes differently anyway. I've watched different movies of him and looked at artwork and stuff and he usually isn't wearing a shirt that completely covers his chest anyway. I like the idea of him showing off his abs. (He's got 'em so why not show them off!)

So now I'm thinking he needs pants that are wide at the thighs but are really tight at the calves. And then some kind of sash thing to go over those? I'll have to think about his shirt (if he even gets one).
My Family:
Dark Angel

Postby Iwa_Hoshi » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:29 am

Dark Angel wrote:
So now I'm thinking he needs pants that are wide at the thighs but are really tight at the calves. And then some kind of sash thing to go over those? I'll have to think about his shirt (if he even gets one).

Just realised you're doing the Koei game versiom, was wondering about the hair and which source aterial had that colour.

Sweatpants/hakama/kung fu pants tutorial + cloth calf warmers that either zippered or lycra at the back?
Team of Dolls Bio Team of Dolls on Flickr
Keeping an eye out for props for Dioramas
Iwa_Hoshi
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby Dark Angel » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:46 pm

I was thinking either finding some stretchy material for the calf warmers or using velcro. But I have to look around for material that I like. I'm definitely deviating from the original clothing design for the Wukong reference that I'm basing him on because I am not confident in my sewing abilities enough to try and make his outfit.
My Family:
Dark Angel

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Custom Creations