Go to footer

Chair in Progress

Did you make that doll/wig/chair/whatever? No, really did you? Show us your finished products here! Post "How To's" in Tutorials

Chair in Progress

Postby skookum hime » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:34 pm

Mark decided to pick up a new hobby, carpentry. It wasn't too hard to convince him into making some dolly furniture. He's never really made anything like this before, and his first time with a jigsaw. I gave him measurements and an hour later he came back with piece of this.

i helped him nail it together XD but I think it came out pretty good for a first attempt at something like this. Its only flaws are the arms, the one is un-even at the top, and the one side of the chair seat is short.

Atlantis sure likes it. We are going to sand it, paint it and upholster the seat and the arms. So There will be pictures of that soon. Mark asked me to post his creation because he wants to get involved creatively in the BJD community, and wants to know if custom work like this would sell.
skookum hime
Dolly Pardon

Re: Chair in Progress

Postby Dark Angel » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:11 pm

I like the arms, they have a nice shape!
My Family:
Angel, Madison, Morgan, Dog, Egyp, Zurui, Willow, Pandora, Meadow, Camille, Sazuki, Eros, Knox, Mishell, Kirin, Chili, Jack, Carmen, Levi, Dimitri, Sun Wukong, Jezzebelle, Ellie, Ayato, Adrian, Lulu, Dagon, Nick
Dark Angel
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby Valli » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:47 pm

Wow! That's amazing for a first attempt. He could go far.
Valli
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby K2! » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:57 pm

One big suggestion: stop using particle board and switch to MDF (medium density fiberboard).
While both materials are made from a similar process, MDF has a much finer matrix than particle board. MDF’s cross section looks more like a tight stack of paper whereas particleboard looks like a coarse mix of sawdust. Neither material is very water-resistant unless you get a moisture resistant exterior grade. When exposed to water, both will swell up and may start flaking apart. For finishing, MDF has a smooth surface and cuts and sands cleanly. MDF also takes paints and stain finishes well. Particleboard is primarily used as an underlayment and does not cut very cleanly and can be impossible to sand.
Neither of these materials is solid wood, so neither is as strong nor holds screws and other fasteners as well as solid wood. With both materials you should glue (wood glue such as Titebond) all joints in addition to any mechanical fasteners used.

Check out this page for a more in-depth comparison with pictures.
http://blackboard.acu.edu.au/webct/Rela ... ision.html
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby Astrid » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:32 pm

First I agree with K2,, the particle board will last you a mintue and if you live in a place that has extreme weather damp coldness in winter, hot hot hot in summer then your precious hand made chair will warp.

Second: your husband ( i assume) is awesome! I have bought my husband slowly throughout the years items to make a wood shop hoping he would get the hint! I flat out asked him ' Now that you have everything you need to build me a new house will you build me some doll furniture?"

Still waiting.

Oh wait he did make me a doll stand....base. LoL

That is awesome Mark is motivated to do this for you.
Astrid
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby skookum hime » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:01 pm

Valli and Dark Angel: He says thank you :3

K2: Thanks. He's mostly playing around first before he goes out and buys stuff. He got a bunch of scrap woods for a dollar a piece. So this was basically a freebie project. I did make him get glue :3 My grandfather was an excellent carpenter, so I learned a little from him :3
This first chair I am going to more than likely paint it with a house paint, and upholster the arms, seat and back rest.
And I think he got a piece of the Medium Density fiberboard in his looting of the scrap section.

Astrid: In ohio it should be fine. Its my boyfriend/fiance, but might as well be cause he puts up with my crap lol. Mark is a 3d designer and actually is using a CAD like program to get ideas first. He wants to be creative and he really like doll people. I already convinced him I need doll beds now. :3
skookum hime
Dolly Pardon

Postby zirconmermaid » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:40 pm

Medieval furniture: plans and instructions for historical reproductions
By Daniel Diehl, Mark Donnell

I have this book, and it could easily be adapted to doll size. Your chair is very interesting and looks Deco! He should definitely keep making things. Have you seen what doll couches go for? There is a NEED!

another furniture book:
Making Authentic Shaker Furniture: With Measured Drawings of Museum Classics
by John Gerald Shea
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby skookum hime » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:32 pm

He is interested in the first book.

There is a need for affordable furniture. Shipping would be higher but not as high as it would from an international seller. I looked around DoA. very few people do quality work or even sell it.
skookum hime
Dolly Pardon

Postby K2! » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:42 am

skookum hime wrote:He got a bunch of scrap woods for a dollar a piece. So this was basically a freebie project.

Whew! Particle board is nasty. You'll see when you try and sand the rough edges and paint that sample.

Mark is a 3d designer and actually is using a CAD like program to get ideas first.

Does he have access to a CnC machine? I always wanted to get one of those desktop CnC machines. It would be perfect for making doll furniture but I got no space for it.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=19666
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby skookum hime » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:57 pm

K2! wrote:
skookum hime wrote:He got a bunch of scrap woods for a dollar a piece. So this was basically a freebie project.

Whew! Particle board is nasty. You'll see when you try and sand the rough edges and paint that sample.

Mark is a 3d designer and actually is using a CAD like program to get ideas first.

Does he have access to a CnC machine? I always wanted to get one of those desktop CnC machines. It would be perfect for making doll furniture but I got no space for it.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=19666

We had some luck smoothing it down with the dremel but like as said before, he didnt want to waste money if he didnt like doing it. Can't blame him because we couldn't afford to buy the pine boards. 15 dollars for a 4 by 6 board vs the several 4 by 12 particle boards for a dollar.
he said he wishes he had a CnC machine.
skookum hime
Dolly Pardon

Return to Board index

Return to Custom Creations