Go to footer

I Need Help Finishing Off A Not So Little Project...

Did you make that doll/wig/chair/whatever? No, really did you? Show us your finished products here! Post "How To's" in Tutorials

I Need Help Finishing Off A Not So Little Project...

Postby magkelly » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:50 pm

I've had a couple of big pajama Barbie heads in a box for a while now because I liked the look of them and I had the idea of putting one or both of them on 15" doll bodies. I never could quite find a body that matched them in skin tone. It's an odd tan, not quite brown, a little more pink, but not light pink flesh like most dolls that are semi-pink. I tried a Tonner, an Alex, none of them worked so I finally decided to take an old straight legged MA body and try to repaint it to match. In the end the paint job was still a bit dark and it looks for all the word like a spray tan even though I did my best to coat the doll evenly but I figure Barbie is from CA supposedly so she's just going to be Winter Spray Tan Barbie or something, lol. Actually with clothes on I don't think it will be all that bad. It's darker but it's a good color match otherwise and several coats later I'm tired of painting her so that's just it. She's almost done except for her nails but now I have to find a sealer that won't go yellow on me, which is the thing I need help with.

The only two sealers I have I've used on dolls before and they did go yellow within a short time. I really want to avoid that if I can. Anyone know of a sealer that won't yellow over time that I can use for this? I'd rather seal her than not, but I don't want to completely ruin her tan either. It's not perfect but I worked way too hard to get that doll painted like that! If I can't find something I am going to just leave her like she is and put an outfit on her that covers quite a bit. I think that once her major parts are clothed she'll look pretty good.

Any ideas? I want to finish her off later if my nose will let me. It's taken me a while to get her done actually. It took about six coats and I wasn't feeling too good so I had to paint a half hour at a time. Plus I was working on the Swarovsky corsets. Big Babs she's getting some kind of Barbie like outfit in pink and that's likely all I am going to do with her. She's strictly a display girl this one. I just wanted to do it, finally have a 15" Barbie that didn't look like the ones Mattel had made. They are hard to come by and almost all those have those bending arms like on the Superstars and I really didn't want that look at all for her. I wanted a slightly upscale Barbie that looks more like my other 15" girls.
magkelly
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Re: I Need Help Finishing Off A Not So Little Project...

Postby richila » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:25 pm

I use ZM spray from Volks for tan dolls. It isexpensive, but it doesn't change the tan or cloud it. What have you been using?
richila
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby magkelly » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:22 pm

I've tried a Folk Art one, one of Aileen's, Mod Podge, and another craft one that I can't for the life of me remember and an art fixative in the spray can. Sorry, also can't remember that one as I am out of it and need to go grab more. They're practically the only fixatives that our local Micheal's carries though. I don't have too many options unless maybe I go online to Blick. They all went yellow though, every last one.
magkelly
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Skitterbug » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:33 pm

What about testors dullcote? They usually carry that in michaels with the car model kits?
Skitterbug
dolliehs are watching me O.O;

Return to Board index

Return to Custom Creations