Go to footer

Hmmm...

Did you make that doll/wig/chair/whatever? No, really did you? Show us your finished products here! Post "How To's" in Tutorials

Hmmm...

Postby MidoriKurogami » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:20 am

Hey guys,

After being here for the short time I have and having this hobby grow on me so madly, I'm now considering trying my hand at making dolls. I was an art major in college and took sculpting and learned how to work molds even before that. So my question to the dollmakers here is this: how did you start and how difficult would you say this undertaking is? Have a source for supplies? Please let me know; This is something I've been waning to do for a while and I now think resin would be the best medium I could work in (as opposed to porcelain). All advice is appreciated!
MidoriKurogami

Re: Hmmm...

Postby Elyneara » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:14 pm

I haven't worked with resin, but I recently made my own doll and posted a guide-esque thing in my LJ.

http://elyneara.livejournal.com/

The one made there is my 4th BJD, first one ever sculpted.

My second doll ever had some heavy modifications that I did myself as well. Doing the modding first really helped me out when it came to making one from scratch. It gave me a bit of confidence and I could gauge what I was getting into easier. Though it doesn't sound like you are looking to make a doll like mine (he's not resin) I'd like to think the guide can still be of some use. I started just because I couldn't find exactly what I wanted, and I am very picky and not willing to put up with less than what I want XD

Just FYI I have no background experience with sculpting, but I have always done art, mostly cartoons though.

Homemade doll:
ImageImage
I did not sculpt the head here

Modded Doll:
ImageImage
The head is the only modification here.

Edit: I forgot to say, when I first started I tried to work in 1/6th scale, like the obitsu 23-27 CMs and that was a mistake. I have one cat boy whose head is just terrible. Small stuff is HARD to do, I really prefer my larger attempts. So I'd say try to do a 1/4th scale for your first Full sculpt/modification.
Elyneara
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Postby Greyhaunt » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:27 pm

there is a book available in Japan by a famous doll artist named Yoshida. It shows up on Ebay periodically, but if it's still in print I can snag it at cover price from my bookstore I use. He makes his using LaDoll clay mixed with gesso worked over a core of sculptable styrofoam - which he later scrapes out after the clay has dried. Of course he isn't using these to cast molds from, so it may not be the best method to follow.

I'd say talk to Zirconmermaid - she and her hubby have made kitty ears for BJD and he's sculpted a BJD head as well as molded and done the resin.
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby K2! » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:44 pm

K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby MidoriKurogami » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:34 pm

Thanks guys! All very nice customizations. ^_^ Will be reading lots on your livejournal Elyneara (love your sho'tie; he's too adorable)and pestering Zircon! X3

I think I'm going to start simple; I'm going to make Kaguya a mask once she gets here, thought I'm not sure about the medium I'll use yet. After I get that looking the way I want it to, I'll try something more ambitious. ^^
MidoriKurogami

Postby DollyKim » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:07 pm

The Yoshida book and the Doll Artist book by Martha Armstrong Hand. Michaels has Premiere and LaDoll clays along with the innards you'd beend for a Yoshida style doll.
And there's these scans posted by someone called xLady_lazarusx I saved a long while back. They're from a Gothic and Lolita Bible Extra and cover the very basics of the Yoshida method, but the book still is a pretty good idea.
First page, just keep hitting next and if you run in to her somewhere thank her profusely.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u270 ... m/bjd1.jpg
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Return to Board index

Return to Custom Creations