Go to footer

Making my own resin BJD {Progress}

Did you make that doll/wig/chair/whatever? No, really did you? Show us your finished products here! Post "How To's" in Tutorials

Making my own resin BJD {Progress}

Postby PopularFizzyDrink » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:00 am

So. I thought "I have nothing to do at the moment, what better way to spend my time than making my own BJD"!

(..I'm sure we've all had this thought at one time or another..)

But it is no easy feat! The biggest task was thinking where oh where do I cast the doll into resin? Thankfully my biggest problem was solved last week when I discovered that a long-time friend's husband makes resin models for a living! I had no idea! I tentatively approached him about the possibility of him helping me cast a doll, explained what a BJD was, and he explained the process of resin casting. For those who don't know, you need a compression chamber (AKA a big old metal vessel that creates a vacuum) and lots of patience! Amazingly, he will only charge me for the resin I use and not any extra for the usage of the compression chamber. Plus he bulk buys his resin, so it will be FAR cheaper than if I wanted to buy a drum of the stuff myself.

SO! I have decided that I'm going to dedicate this time I'm not able to work full time to making my own BJD. This will be my place to post progress pictures etc. I hope nobody minds me journaling, as it were (mods please contact me if need be)..

The stages will be:

1) Design the doll {shape, proportions, features etc)

2) Make a scale cut-out in paper {making sure its symmetrical}

3) Make a styrofoam base {this base will be "raked" out to form the hollow insides}

4) Sculpt the doll using epoxy clay on top of the base {this will take a while!}

5) Refine the clay doll {sanding, sculpting, making sure the joints fit}

6) Make moulds from the epoxy doll parts {figuring out which parts need to be in two halves to make the hollow}

7) Cast in resin! {taking full precaution for health and safety}

8) Refine my spangly new BJD!!

Being reasonable, I guess this process will take me several months to complete, and at each stage I'm sure I will come across new barriers and challenges. My first design ideas are of a female with quite large hips, small-medium breasts, and limbs not as long as most BJDs. I wanted her to be a little more realistic, slightly shorter and curvier, with a 2 part torso. These are all my preferred features for dolls, and as I've never found one that fits that description per say, I thought it would be a good place to start!

Here is my first "blueprint" of the parts I'm going to attempt. All this may change, but it's my first ideas and so far I like them!

Already I'm seeing troubles with the S-hooks joining the hands and feet to the elastic... My BJDs all vary in how this is worked out! Some have sunk D-rings, some have D-rings on top of the ball joint in the wrist, and some have a resin ring cast in the hand itself... Hmmm, I'd appreciate suggestions in this!

Thanks for looking guys! Wish me luck :D
PopularFizzyDrink
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Re: Making my own resin BJD {Progress}

Postby DollyKim » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:16 am

For the hand the slot with a bar, like you did with the feet, could work. If this is your first doll and/or first human form go with something a bit more forgiving than epoxy (unless you're very experienced with it). A good air dry clay will cut, carve, and heal. Just buy twice as much as you think you'll need, ask my trash can. Put a finish on it and you can make molds.

You can work in a stiff modeling clay that needs a heat lamp to soften to make parts for molding too. Several of my books (Pop Sculpture is the easiest to find) start with modeling clay then they make a first mold and cast which they refine for a more detailed mold.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Re: Making my own resin BJD {Progress}

Postby PopularFizzyDrink » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:50 am

Thanks DollyKim, that's super helpful ^_^
PopularFizzyDrink
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Return to Board index

Return to Custom Creations