Go to footer

Again with Craig Ferguson

Did you make that doll/wig/chair/whatever? No, really did you? Show us your finished products here! Post "How To's" in Tutorials

Again with Craig Ferguson

Postby DollyKim » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:32 am

Making a companion for the Twelfth Doctor from scratch. This is an air dry clay which was a bit wet to begin with but I feel good about what did get done. The base is a wire mesh tube sized to fit a Dragon (male) style neck then a wad of paper for the skull. This was topped off with air dry clay to make a general head shape to build upon.

It should take at least 2-3 more sessions to work on him with dry carving and wet sculpting. Once he is fully dry he'll be painted and sealed. Help guiding him to looking more Craig like is appreciated.

DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Re: Again with Craig Ferguson

Postby DollyKim » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:09 am

Going to narrow the jaw line and a bit more dry work. Eyes and hair are the biggest things left to do.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:42 am

Going to carve down the cheeks putting in the laugh lines etc wen he's drier. The eyes will get filled in more. Then it's ears and hair.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:47 pm

He'll look better when he's painted.

Please let him look better when he's painted...
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby ShortNCuddlyAm » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:12 pm

He'll look less like zombie Craig Ferguson when he's painted!
Even without though there's a good resemblance now. (And I am in awe - I can't sculpt for toffee)
Remember, the reverse of stressed is desserts.
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
ShortNCuddlyAm
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby DollyKim » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:49 pm

Thank you. He's kind of in the found some pills on the TARDIS floor and took them stage. Sculpting gets better with doing, each time I feel I get a bit better.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:28 am

New day new Craig who's more in proportion. The last one was getting a bit big headed and other nit picking things that make me want to do better. If you sculpt or even tried you know what I mean.

The bases I have sitting around, what slows things down is the clay is too wet, like thick frosting, so it can only do so much until it dries. Making the practice Craig has me with a much better grasp of what I need to do to get the resemblance.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:26 am

Still some dry work to be done, carving and smoothing, but he's mostly done.

DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:52 pm

Someone is excited for 11-12-13

A few more coats on the hair then some pastel work and drying time. Already have a photo story planned staring Craig.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby MeltedCaramel » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:29 am

Hey there DollyKim!! :D Is this your second try after giving up on the modded Craig head from the PTE line? He came out really good!! What sort of clay are you using? Have you ever tried super sculpey? I find it to be the best balance for people like me who aren't MASTER sculpters but we can put together something and you know what it is. It stays "wet" until baked in the oven, and with sculpting tools you can get some gorgeous smooth edges in. Some sculptors use apoxie, but unless you're making something super small that can be done in under four hours or using it to sharpen up edges on a baked sculpey sculpture (apoxie can give you rock hard, thin edges, great for delicate things like modified elf ears, etc), I would stick with something like sculpey.

Sculpey also allows you to make things much smoother and cleaner where they need to be, like the skin.

Advice aside, I'm quite impressed!!! I'm still putting off Maes Hughes' head because trying to turn Full Metal Alchemist characters 3D is like pulling teeth from an alligator. I had to buy a few Japanese gashapon toys as references. Out of curiousity, how did you figure out the measuring process for his neck width?
"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." -Robin Williams
MeltedCaramel
the walls have dolliehs

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Custom Creations