Go to footer

Cherry's Fur Wigs (Image !!HEAVY!!)

Did you make that doll/wig/chair/whatever? No, really did you? Show us your finished products here! Post "How To's" in Tutorials

Cherry's Fur Wigs (Image !!HEAVY!!)

Postby embyquinn » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:32 am

Way too many pictures of Cherry's fur wigs. Just thought you'd all like to see what I've been doing since I ordered a boatload of swatches from DistinctiveFabric.com. I also took pics of Riri's older wigs. Some of them are years old but have held up really, really well.

The first wig I ever made for Cherry, waaaay back in 2009. I always knew she had pink hair, but this was before I decided the lighter pinks suited her better. She still wears it well. It's made of a piece of fuschia long pile fur.

The mimosa wig. It's white with pink tips although at this angle you can't really see the white very much. This was made of DF's color-tipped fur, which they no longer have. Emo tear. ;.;

Riri's "default" wig. It's their 2 Tone Spiked Shag Fur with the pink spikes trimmed down and the white park dyed light pink with watered-down acrylic paint.

Riri's shortest wig, by far. I don't even remember what fur this is made of and I don't think they carry it anymore, but it was originally white and I dyed it pink.

One of the newer wigs, in light pink. This is the Solid Long Hair Fur. See how shiny it is! It looks more like real hair than some other faux furs.

Extra Long Pile Fur, in baby pink. It's super silky soft.

This is how long it actually is in the back.

More in the next post...
"Dolls love to be played with. They are lonesome if you leave them always in a box. How would you like to be left day after day alone, with no one to love you?"
embyquinn
the walls have dolliehs

Re: Cherry's Fur Wigs (Image !!HEAVY!!)

Postby embyquinn » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:32 am

More of Riri's wig wardrobe...

Frosted Mongolian Shag, which gradiates from pale pink to almost white. It's 3" long and very touchable.

It's hard to tell from a standard fiber wig, except that it's much finer and, I think, more to scale.

Another of the older wigs I've made for Riri, this one a lime green Long Pile Fur trimmed short.

This is Solid Long Hair Fur in aqua.

cherrywig12 by embyquinn, on Flickr
This wig is made from their longest pile fur, called (rather less than flattering) Monkey Shag.

It falls all the way down to Cherry's waist!

Solid Long Hair Fur in pure white.

On to post the third! *dash*
"Dolls love to be played with. They are lonesome if you leave them always in a box. How would you like to be left day after day alone, with no one to love you?"
embyquinn
the walls have dolliehs

Postby embyquinn » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:33 am

The last batch of Cherry's fur wigs, until I get more swatches.

Monkey Shag in white. No back view this time, but it's just as long as the black one.

This is called "Husky Fur", in black and white. I got it because, well, my hair is about this color now. ^^;;;

Solid Long Hair Fur in black. Strange how it makes Cherry look almost fair-skinned...

Solid Long Hair in camel. I originally got this for Johnny to wear, but he refuses.

Solid Long Hair in dark red. It's combed to look like a classic Barbie bubblecut.

This is 3 Tone Fur, which is two colors of long pile mixed on a base of short pile fur. Very 80s punk, but I love the way it looks.

Icy Shag in blue. I really wanted it in lime green, but they were out of it. ;.; I'm hoping to pick up the green at a later time. If they ever get this in pink, I'll probably pick that up too. It's similar but not identical to the Color-Tipped Fur they no longer carry that made her mimosa wig. In the meantime, I have a swatch of pale pink Poodle Shag coming in. Cherry with curly hair? Why not?

So that's all of Riri's handmade wigs, for now, with a list of what they were made of in case any of you want to order some free swatches and try your hand at it. Just remember that you'll need two swatches to make a wig larger than 5/6, and since you can't order two free swatches of the same type you'd have to pay for the second. But swatches are only a buck apiece, so it's worth it.
embyquinn
the walls have dolliehs

Postby richila » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:14 am

You and Riri are having way too much fun with wigs. That solid long hair fur is amazing. I have never seen any fur that shiny.
richila
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby Eseme » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:46 am

I love all her wigs! These are great inspiration, and I definitely plan to try my hand at wigmaking someday.

Eseme
Eseme
the walls have dolliehs

Postby embyquinn » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:18 am

richila wrote:You and Riri are having way too much fun with wigs. That solid long hair fur is amazing. I have never seen any fur that shiny.

We've always loved wig play, and back when they were still making Liv and Moxie Teenz stuff I bought her kaboodles of the wigs, and she still has them...but the fun fur wigs just seem to suit her better, and I find them more to scale. Even the finest saran/kanekalon wig feels too coarse on a 1:6 scale to me. I will still keep some of her fiber wigs, but I'm considering selling off the ones she won't ever wear.

Eseme wrote:I love all her wigs! These are great inspiration, and I definitely plan to try my hand at wigmaking someday.

Eseme

Oh, you should! It's a lot easier than it looks and there are patterns all over the web. I have several methods I use, depending on how the swatch is cut, and I may share those soon to help people get started. Let the faux fur wig revolution start here! :B
embyquinn
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Jobee » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:25 pm

Wow, what a collection! I'm so jealous. :O I'm so bad at making wigs. T_T
Jobee
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Postby embyquinn » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:11 pm

Jobee wrote:Wow, what a collection! I'm so jealous. :O I'm so bad at making wigs. T_T

It just takes patience and practice. Trust me, my first wig (or two, or three, or five) didn't turn out very well. Thank goodness distinctivefabric.com has such inexpensive swatches--and the first five are FREE! Considering I've made Cherry's wigs at a dollar a swatch (1 swatch=1 Cherry wig), I couldn't get a better deal!
embyquinn
the walls have dolliehs

Return to Board index

Return to Custom Creations