Go to footer

The graveyard of unfinished dolliehs

Did you make that doll/wig/chair/whatever? No, really did you? Show us your finished products here! Post "How To's" in Tutorials

The graveyard of unfinished dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:10 am

To stand in memory of all those little peoples you tried to make or customize but due to tragic circumstances aren't going to happen. Did you sculpt for days only to drop the project on the floor? Mess up a face up because you sneezed? Had a good idea but not the skills to see it to the end?

Good idea, good start, wrong choice of materials. Apoxie Sculpt would make them too heavy and I couldn't get the smooth plastic finish I wanted. Will try again later with polymer clay.

Thomas

Guy
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Re: The graveyard of unfinished dolliehs

Postby Gift_in_Edge » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:13 am

I've been wanting the Daft Punk guys in doll form too. Their licensed ones are expensive.
I'm mostly on Tumblr now.
Gift_in_Edge
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:51 am

And us doll people being what we are wouldn't like them to be the same height. There are 6" action figure versions that are easier to get.

On the making side I had considered a pair of Sideshow Star Wars bodies, they come in all white and all black, but they are big and wouldn't give the height difference. I went with heads because I have a couple of spare bodies that would work well enough.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Shinku_Rhapsody » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:55 pm

Wait, someone else tried to make Daft Punk dolls? Sweet!
I too made an ill-fated attempt in apoxie, but stopped for similar reasons. Except I tried in MSD size... >-<
Shinku_Rhapsody
Dolly Pardon

Postby DollyKim » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:37 am

Being the helmets are generally gold or silver I'm now thinking gold and silver polymer clay could work, then I'd only need to paint the visors black. Having a basic face shape to start with will be the way to go, to make sure the visors especially Thomas' stick out past the nose.

For a mini I'd go with carving bases out of styrofoam in the helmet shapes then a skin of air dry clay, like all those doll making books, then carve the foam out so you can put the heads on bodies. And I think I just solved my problem but I'll have to use a paper clay base under the polymer because you never ever ever bake styrofoam.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:09 pm

What was hoping to be a penny wooden. This is that super light weight Bag O Wood stuff they sell at the craft store. I'll bet it'll burn real purty.

DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Return to Board index

Return to Custom Creations