Go to footer

Signature size: characters and URLs

Find out about new features, make wishes, bring up technical problems. Not a place to complain about naughty posts, etc...

Signature size: characters and URLs

Postby Evelien » Thu May 26, 2011 5:03 am

I can understand why there would be restrictions for signature size, looking at the size of used images. But I can't really understand the restrictions when it comes to characters and URLs. My signature is small and decent - I think - but I'd like to change my other dollieh passions into links as well, and I can't because of the 5 URLs max rule. Could this be changed or do you have very good reasons for keeping it this way? :mrgreen:

Oh, about the characters: sometimes links are just immensely long (Flickr/forum links for example), so that they take up a lot of characters, without making a signature look too big. So the 400 char max is a bit frustrating as well.
European dealer for Captured in Glass doll eyes
Flickr | Ipernity
"I suspect Evelien doesn't go around wearing a little white lace hat and wooden shoes." -cirquemom
Evelien
Dr. Dollittle

Re: Signature size: characters and URLs

Postby K2! » Thu May 26, 2011 8:12 am

Evelien wrote:I can understand why there would be restrictions for signature size, looking at the size of used images. But I can't really understand the restrictions when it comes to characters and URLs. My signature is small and decent - I think - but I'd like to change my other dollieh passions into links as well, and I can't because of the 5 URLs max rule. Could this be changed or do you have very good reasons for keeping it this way? :mrgreen:

Oh, about the characters: sometimes links are just immensely long (Flickr/forum links for example), so that they take up a lot of characters, without making a signature look too big. So the 400 char max is a bit frustrating as well.

There are two main issues involved with the signature size. The most obvious is moderation. There will always be someone to take advantage of a large signature size and post a full screen image, an entire chapter from their fan fiction, or other such nonsense in their signature. I've seen it done over on JS and it is supremely annoying. The second issue, which is tied in to the first, is download times. A large signature file takes longer to download. Even if all that shows in your signature is a few link words, all the characters in the url have to download too. The real mess happens when you have multiple posts in the same topic. If say, you have 10 responses in one topic, that little innocuous looking signature file downloads once for each post. That can add up fast, especially for those poor souls still on dial up (yes, they still exist and we've got some).
I would suggest having one link (Evelien's Dollie Passions) in your signature, which would be to a menu page (Pick Your Passion) on one of your sites and from there you could have all the links you want.
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby Evelien » Thu May 26, 2011 8:16 am

K2! wrote:
Evelien wrote:I can understand why there would be restrictions for signature size, looking at the size of used images. But I can't really understand the restrictions when it comes to characters and URLs. My signature is small and decent - I think - but I'd like to change my other dollieh passions into links as well, and I can't because of the 5 URLs max rule. Could this be changed or do you have very good reasons for keeping it this way? :mrgreen:

There are two main issues involved with the signature size. The most obvious is moderation. There will always be someone to take advantage of a large signature size and post a full screen image, an entire chapter from their fan fiction, or other such nonsense in their signature. I've seen it done over on JS and it is supremely annoying. The second issue, which is tied in to the first, is download times. A large signature file takes longer to download. Even if all that shows in your signature is a few link words, all the characters in the url have to download too. The real mess happens when you have multiple posts in the same topic. If say, you have 10 responses in one topic, that little innocuous looking signature file downloads once for each post. That can add up fast, especially for those poor souls still on dial up (yes, they still exist and we've got some).
I would suggest having one link (Evelien's Dollie Passions) in your signature, which would be to a menu page (Pick Your Passion) on one of your sites and from there you could have all the links you want.

I'm sorry but... do characters take that much time to load..? I really don't think so, even if you're on dial-up.. but correct me if I'm wrong.

This is temporary anyway, I do want to make one topic here indeed at some point, in which all my dolls are united, which I can link to in my sig... but I'm not ready for that yet. :)
Flickr | Ipernity
"I suspect Evelien doesn't go around wearing a little white lace hat and wooden shoes." -cirquemom
Evelien
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Greyhaunt » Thu May 26, 2011 9:29 am

Believe it or not, I put a lot of thought into signature space size when I set up the forum. I weighed the sides of little or no signature (DoA) against unlimited signatures or moderate level ones. I also thought about what I wanted to have in my sig, being a shameless sig whore LOL. 400 characters is actually more than most forums give- the average is 200. Five urls seemed pretty generous to me as well - I figured a deviant art, blog or journal, and personal website would be all most people would have so two more would be enough beyond.

I do appreciate the input, but for right now I'm just not inclined to expand the size of the signature field though I understand the frustration it may cause.
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby Evelien » Thu May 26, 2011 9:36 am

I'll just have to get ready and think of some dollieh bios already then, so I can put them all in one topic..! It's taken me long enough already ;)

Thanks for the quick responses btw :), really appreciate it.
Flickr | Ipernity
Evelien
Dr. Dollittle

Postby victoriavictrix » Thu May 26, 2011 9:46 am

I'm sorry but... do characters take that much time to load..? I really don't think so, even if you're on dial-up.. but correct me if I'm wrong.

Speaking as someone who occasionally has to be on dialup because my ISP goes out, the answer is a resounding YES.
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Evelien » Thu May 26, 2011 11:08 am

Eep. Thanks for clearing that up! ^^
Flickr | Ipernity
Evelien
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Gift_in_Edge » Thu May 26, 2011 3:46 pm

This reminds me that I want to make a new sig soon. But of what? :/
I'm mostly on Tumblr now.
Gift_in_Edge
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby Evelien » Thu May 26, 2011 4:26 pm

Here's a crazy thought... dolliehs? :mrgreen:
Flickr | Ipernity
Evelien
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Gift_in_Edge » Fri May 27, 2011 1:15 am

I tried to make a dolly one but it turned into a quote.
I'm mostly on Tumblr now.
Gift_in_Edge
I have no life but dolliehs

Return to Board index

Return to Forum Facts