Go to footer

Hello From a Student

Tell the world who you are!

Hello From a Student

Postby Thelittlevintagegirl » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:06 pm

Hi everyone, I'm a high schooler who basically, never had that one stage most girls tend to have somewhere in between elementary school and middle school where they grow out of dolls and instead start to act like 'women'. I still haven't put aside my dolls, and probably never will. They're just too fun! lol.

Anyways so for the past few years I've mainly collected vintage Barbie. I absolutely love anything vintage, and history, so vintage Barbie's were and are right up my ally and I love them dearly. I also have a ok collection of Monster High dolls because they're so different from any of my vintage dolls(plus I can't stand the lack of articulation in my older girls) and so I needed something to pose. But the real reason why I stumbled on this forum was because of what started as a small project that's now becoming a bit crazy.

One of my favorite vintage Barbie's, is Skipper's original best friend Skooter, who's face mold, while regarded as ugly to many Barbie collectors, I find to be adorably sly and cute. I have a titan Skooter who has remained Skooter, but last year I also bought another, Skooter(with cut hair) because I loved her face and for thirteen dollars, felt bad for her.

Here's were my writing comes in. So as you'd never be able to tell by how horribly written this post is, I actually write in my spare time. Like a lot. Writing is my second hobby and I'd loose my mind if I had to chose between it and doll collecting. I really want a doll who could pass for my favorite protagonist, Letty, and so I figured why not just combine my favorite things and make a doll look like Letty.

And who had a better face mold, or need for a upgrade than the second Skooter? So naturally I decided to start fixing her up(but not really because I'm a poor inexperienced high schooler). I bought her a few wigs to replace that cut hair(yes a wig for a vintage Skooter doll, wigs costing more than what I got for the doll. I'm crazy right?) and a ton of Blythe clothes(I figured if Blythe's fit in Skipper and Skooter's stuff, why can't you flip them? And I can now say usually you can.) and at the end of all this I had Letty. Well almost. Something wasn't quite right. Her hair was prefect, and her face and her clothes, but something was off.

Then it hit me. She was too short. Like way too short. Here was this doll meant to be ten years old, dressed like a 1950's teenager. She looked odd, and a bit silly, and I knew what I needed to do. Letty needed a new body, something taller, and sturdier than a 1960's Skipper body.

After some searching, and hard researching, I think I've found the solution to my odd problem. I've decided to swap Letty's Skipper body, for a obitsu body. A small breasted 25 cm one to be exact. But I ran into a problem called, nobody else, even out of other doll collectors, has ever been crazy enough to spend this much time on a Skooter doll that's seen as ugly by those who collect it and who's collectors also don't take them apart and put them on other articulated doll bodies, save for like two people. So I still have no idea if this even works. I have never seen a Skipper/Skooter head on a Obitsu body, and because of that I'm really on the edge about buying one.

So while looking up pictures of this to try to scrap as much as I could on the subject, I was lead here, to a post about a semi similar problem. And so I decided to come here and see what people here thought about Skipper heads on obitsu bodies, and to just have a place to talk about dolls. So yeah, now I'm here, and introducing myself and can't wait to join in on all the fun:).
Thelittlevintagegirl
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Re: Hello From a Student

Postby Nella » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:14 pm

Welcome to Dollieh Sanctuary! I also breezed over that 'put aside your dolls' junk, though I changed gears (from Groovy Girls to BJDs).

Scooter is adorable! She has a fresh, wholesome face. :) As for re-bodying, I'm sure some one here can help.
Nella
the walls have dolliehs

Postby ShortNCuddlyAm » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:35 am

Welcome! I had to look up Skooter - I love her face! I only gave up playing with dolls in my teens as my mum "convinced" me to give them all to charity.

Can't help with the hybridising, I'm afraid, although I'm sure I have seen at least one pic of a Skipper head on an Obitsu body - if I find it again, I'll post it!
Remember, the reverse of stressed is desserts.
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
ShortNCuddlyAm
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Iwa_Hoshi » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:52 am

Welcome to the board.

Barbie started a war on my plushies and action figures helped get rid of her. All 3 of her. :lol: And there after its plushies and action figures all the way until I got into customising Obitsu dolls of my action figures and plushies. Go figure.

I like looking at those Chinese New year Barbies and those fancy gowns types if not actually planning to mug them for my dolls. :lol: Granted non pink clothes are tougher to find.
Team of Dolls Bio Team of Dolls on Flickr
Keeping an eye out for props for Dioramas
Iwa_Hoshi
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby Aurea Arleigh » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:17 pm

Welcome :) Hope you find plenty of helpful info on how to build your project. Sounds like you may need to start by finding a Dr. McCoy from the Star Trek 10-12"(figure/doll) set to give you a hand on the operation :lol: Joke aside hope you enjoy your stay.
My doll family:
Aurea Arleigh (my O.C. deity werebunny) Hujoo 12cm bunny!!!!

Kasumi Yashiro (1/6 Chara Dollfie)

Monster High: Custom Catrine Demew, Custom Kitty Cheshire, Custom Catty Noir, Custom MH Warcraft Draenei and Custom MH warcraft Night elf female.(all customs done by myself)
Aurea Arleigh
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby maywong » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:52 am

Hi! and welcome.
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Return to Board index

Return to Introductions