Go to footer

New to all of this!

Tell the world who you are!

New to all of this!

Postby mucus » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:29 pm

Hello hello! I'm brand new to the world of BJD, and don't even have one yet!
In truth, I'm looking for one for my significant other because she's been really excited about BJD ever since watching Rozen Maiden.
Currently I've got several that I think she'd be interested in - and I'd love feedback as to what a new BJD collector should know, stay away from, etc.

I'll also go ahead and post some links here to BJD I'm looking at.
I'm mostly interested in full sets with body blushing and face ups. . .

Annie has a very cute face, and body, I'd probably have to get her a more mundane outfit though
https://www.mintoncardinc.com/dolls/ite ... 7&DOLL=YES

Lucile is a cutie pie, no other way to cut it.
I'd probably also get a second outfit for her as well.
http://dec89229.gdreamweb.com/shop/step1.php?number=721

Ruodie has a nice look in the face, but her lips might be a little too pouty. . .
She'd also need a more playful outfit.
http://legenddoll.net/goods-868.html

Mu Xia, Mujia?, is cute and I like a lot about her - but I think the noise is a little bit too long
http://www.acbjd.com/mu-xia-p-8117.html?cPath=340_345

So as you can see I'm mostly looking for someone with big open eyes. Maybe someone with a slightly more stern look though . . . but cutesy is always nice. . .
A change of wardrobe is almost a must - especially since it'll just be one BJD, having a few looks would be nice.

Thanks, hello, and hope to see y'all around!
mucus
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Re: New to all of this!

Postby ShortNCuddlyAm » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:38 pm

Welcome :)
Remember, the reverse of stressed is desserts.
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
ShortNCuddlyAm
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Nella » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:56 pm

Welcome to Dollieh Sanctuary! My collection is mostly BJDs, so if you need any help, just ask. :)
Those are some great choices. :D I'm not sure if you noticed, but Lucile is much smaller than the other dolls you listed.
Big eyes and a stern or cutesy look? Have you looked into Peakswoods or BlueFairy?

As for things to know and what to stay away from, I'll break my advice down into some Dos and Don'ts:
DO: Research, research, research! We're a friendly bunch and like to help each other out. Not only will this better prepare you for receiving and caring for the doll, but it will help you avoid scams.
DON'T: Feel like if it doesn't look exactly like you imagined then this hobby isn't for you. There's always a learning curve and trial-and-error to figure out what works for you
DO: Wash dark clothing before putting it on your doll. With resin BJDs, a stain can almost always be removed with a quick swipe of damp Magic Eraser (or the like). But it's still scary the first time you find a stain!
DON'T: Pay via the personal option on PayPal (if that is what you use to purchase the doll)
DO: Have fun and share your updates with us! :lol:

I hope that was helpful and again, welcome to the Sanctuary!
Nella
the walls have dolliehs

Postby mucus » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:03 am

Update!
After spending quite a bit of time looking around at different dolls, I wound up thinking Resinsoul's Ya was what we were looking for. I showed her to my SO and she instantly fell in love!
We've been spending time looking at outfits and wigs and shoes and accessories . . . oh wow, there's just so much.
Etsy actually seems to have a lot of cute/original clothes for BJD and we'll probably wind up ordering Ya and clothes separately.

Here's a taste of what we hope she looks like
mucus
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Postby Trethowan » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:53 am

Welcome to the Sanctuary. We have lots of tips and tutorials available. Good luck with the new doll.
Trethowan
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby mucus » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:14 am

We're thinking of giving her 14mm eyes, these would be big enough to fill quite a bit of the socket with color, but not be so much that no white shows.

Anyone know a good set of crimson glass eyes?
mucus
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Postby Nella » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:26 am

mucus wrote:We're thinking of giving her 14mm eyes, these would be big enough to fill quite a bit of the socket with color, but not be so much that no white shows.

Anyone know a good set of crimson glass eyes?

Captured-In-Glass (http://www.cig168.com/) and Hand Glass Craft ( http://www.safrindoll.com/special-order?manufacturer=150)are both good companies that make crimson glass eyes.
Nella
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Iwa_Hoshi » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:43 pm

Welcome to the board.

mucus wrote:A change of wardrobe is almost a must - especially since it'll just be one BJD, having a few looks would be nice.

I used to think having one bjd would be enough, and then she wanted a friend her size to play with....
Team of Dolls Bio Team of Dolls on Flickr
Keeping an eye out for props for Dioramas
Iwa_Hoshi
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby mucus » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:47 pm

I'm already considering getting a BJD for me too. . . >_>
mucus
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Return to Board index

Return to Introductions