Go to footer

Eye putty question

Cleaning, fixing, stain prevention etc... Share your knowledge of what to do and what NOT to do.

Eye putty question

Postby Mebbil » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:53 pm

Is eye putty the same as poster putty?
I've never gotten any eye putty so I'm not sure what its made of.

I got a resin doll recently and the stuff that is used to hold in his eyes smells and feels like sculpey....which freaks me out because I know sculpey melts plastic. :? Does eye putty have a similar feel to sculpey?

So I was looking online for some eye putty, but if its the same as poster putty I can just go down the street to the hobby lobby and grab some.
I got a flickr account and I barely know how to use it. >w<
Mebbil
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Re: Eye putty question

Postby she_flame » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:24 am

What I have understood, eye putty feels like sculpey, but is safe for dolls, no panic there. For poster putties: I use white blu tack, and many bjd collectors I know do so too (white because trad blue can leave stains). So I'd say that hobby store poster putty wuold be fine. ^^
she_flame
Dolly Pardon

Postby ShortNCuddlyAm » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:57 pm

I use white blu tack too - not seen any staining, grease marks or any other damage :)

Edited to add: the main reason I go for the white is that it's less noticeable if there's a gap between the eyes and the resin... :roll: :lol:
Last edited by ShortNCuddlyAm on Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember, the reverse of stressed is desserts.
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
ShortNCuddlyAm
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby jemlovecraft » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:49 pm

I use original BluTack, both Ace Hardware's brand and Faber-Castell's (I got a strip of it with an order from Alice's Collections), and it's never stained my dolls. It's been in their heads for over a year, for some of them (I also use it to keep Leah's headcap closed and Siri's wig in place), and no stains even in my whitest of WS. I'd be worried about the blue stuff staining silicone/soft glass eyes, though.
deviantArt
Flickr
Story blog/Doll blog
At Home: BBB Ariel (Leah) ♠ DZ Hid (Sam) ♠ DZ Mo/AOD (Pen) ♠ RS Fei (Siri) ♠ RS Tang/D-Leaves (Cord) ♠ RS An (Michael)
jemlovecraft
Dolly Pardon

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Care & Maintenance