Go to footer

Latex gloves vs cloth faceup gloves

Cleaning, fixing, stain prevention etc... Share your knowledge of what to do and what NOT to do.

Latex gloves vs cloth faceup gloves

Postby bitterdarjeeling » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:40 pm

When I did my dolls' faceups recently, I used latex gloves when handling the heads and art supplies. Everything got done without a hitch, but in every wip picture of a faceup I've seen the artists are wearing white cloth gloves. Is it okay to use latex gloves when handling my dolls for faceups and such, since I have them readily available to me. I really don't want to have to order a special pair of gloves for faceups, but I'm considering doing faceup commissions once I get some more practice and if that's going to make people squeamish about their dolls then I'll just suck it up and order the cloth ones.
bitterdarjeeling
i see dead dolliehs

Re: Latex gloves vs cloth faceup gloves

Postby yarwel » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:33 pm

And I did mine without gloves. :shock:
In all seriousness, I think the gloves are just to prevent finger oil from being deposited on the resin so latex should be fine. Though cotton may be more comfortable for your hands. ;)
yarwel
the walls have dolliehs

Postby K2! » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:47 pm

As Yarwel said, gloves are really there just to keep the resin/vinyl from picking up oil and contaminates from your hands. Latex gloves will do the job and won't reduce your dexterity like thicker cotton gloves will. Be aware that latex is a strong sensitizer. You can use latex gloves many times without reaction and then suddenly have an allergic reaction to them. (http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ewh-semt/occup-t ... ts-eng.php) Consider switching over to nitrile gloves. https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=nitrile+gloves
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby bitterdarjeeling » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:11 pm

Awesome, I was concerned that at worst the latex would do something to the resin. And thanks for the tip Abbott nitrile, I'll look into getting some.
bitterdarjeeling
i see dead dolliehs

Postby LauraJ » Tue May 12, 2015 10:54 am

I actually use vinyl gloves because I sweat too much in latex. Of course, I only started using them after I worked on a doll's faceup and discovered a big old thumb print on his forehead from where I handled him and got pastel on my thumb...

Yeah, a lot of cussing and magic eraser and redo ensued...

The vinyl ones still sweat my hands, but not as much, and they don't make my hands itch afterwards.
Keep the Torches Burning...It makes the scarecrow REAL nervous.
LauraJ
dolliehs are watching me O.O;

Postby WhiteDove01s » Tue May 12, 2015 11:16 am

I normally handle my dolls without gloves (mine are all on the lower-cost end of vinyl, and for me playing with them and dressing them without gloves or other precautions is part of the fun. If I had to be too 'careful', I wouldn't enjoy it.). But that said, for messy projects or anything where caustics get involved (I make soap, for example), I do have a pack of nitrile gloves and can easily recommend them. I think I picked mine up for about a dollar or two for ten pair in a disposable pack... and sometimes I'll just rinse the ones I used off and reuse them for a while as long as they don't have holes.
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
Check out my 1/6 scale fabrics on Spoonflower!
http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/playscalefabric?rec=true
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Care & Maintenance