Go to footer

Is it possible to fix broken click knees?

Cleaning, fixing, stain prevention etc... Share your knowledge of what to do and what NOT to do.

Is it possible to fix broken click knees?

Postby IgareldaGrimmenth » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:14 pm

I have a doll I found second hand who has one broken click knee. Can this be fixed?
IgareldaGrimmenth
i see dead dolliehs

Re: Is it possible to fix broken click knees?

Postby zirconmermaid » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:42 am

Basically you would need a donor knee. It is not easy and involves cutting open the leg and replacing parts then gluing it together. Unless the doll is a truly vintage Barbie (60's era) it is not really worth it. It is easier to get another body and replace it.
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby IgareldaGrimmenth » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:10 am

zirconmermaid wrote:Basically you would need a donor knee. It is not easy and involves cutting open the leg and replacing parts then gluing it together. Unless the doll is a truly vintage Barbie (60's era) it is not really worth it. It is easier to get another body and replace it.

That sounds pretty hard. She is a hasbro maxie doll, no idea if she is worth anything, I just thought she looked cute.
IgareldaGrimmenth
i see dead dolliehs

Postby victoriavictrix » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:56 pm

IgareldaGrimmenth wrote:
zirconmermaid wrote:Basically you would need a donor knee. It is not easy and involves cutting open the leg and replacing parts then gluing it together. Unless the doll is a truly vintage Barbie (60's era) it is not really worth it. It is easier to get another body and replace it.

That sounds pretty hard. She is a hasbro maxie doll, no idea if she is worth anything, I just thought she looked cute.

In perfect condition, she is worth about $10. In damaged condition she's worth between $1 and $2.
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby DollyKim » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:13 am

What about putting an elastic tube around her leg like a brace or sports wrap? How she broke her knee could become part of her back story.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Dark Angel » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:37 pm

DollyKim wrote:What about putting an elastic tube around her leg like a brace or sports wrap? How she broke her knee could become part of her back story.

That's a cute idea. :)
My Family:
Angel, Madison, Morgan, Dog, Egyp, Zurui, Willow, Pandora, Meadow, Camille, Sazuki, Eros, Knox, Mishell, Kirin, Chili, Jack, Carmen, Levi, Dimitri, Sun Wukong, Jezzebelle, Ellie, Ayato, Adrian, Lulu, Dagon, Nick
Dark Angel
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby IgareldaGrimmenth » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:22 pm

DollyKim wrote:What about putting an elastic tube around her leg like a brace or sports wrap? How she broke her knee could become part of her back story.

Love love love that idea! I just might try doing that. Maybe I could make her a wheelchair too.
IgareldaGrimmenth
i see dead dolliehs

Postby WhiteDove01s » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:53 am

Turning dolly damage into part of the doll's character is always fun. I have one girl with a burn scar on her leg (some kind of bubbling in the vinyl that I went on to 'enhance' with a little caulk and paint to look even more like a burn), one girl who had some kind of small but odd black smudge on her cheek that resisted removal (and it's now part of her story that she's a mechanic who tinkers on things all the time and it's an oil smudge), and most recently a twist-and-flex barbie with a broken waist joint who 'officially' has a broken back/is paraplegic.

If you do make a wheelchair, I'd love to see the results, as I still need to either make one (or get a Barbie Becky and mug hers, as I plan to get a Becky someday anyway but she's got a perfectly decent poseable body and doesn't actually need a wheelchair).
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
Check out my 1/6 scale fabrics on Spoonflower!
http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/playscalefabric?rec=true
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Care & Maintenance