Go to footer

Vinyl Obitsu Bodies, MSC, and Stain Removers?

Cleaning, fixing, stain prevention etc... Share your knowledge of what to do and what NOT to do.

Vinyl Obitsu Bodies, MSC, and Stain Removers?

Postby Kattriella » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:06 pm

Wasn't quite sure where to ask this, but is MSC (Mr. Super Clear) safe to use on Obitsu bodies? (I would assume yes, but I figured I'd make 100% sure with people who have probably tried it.) And if so, does it do anything to help prevent them from staining? I'd like to do some "tattoo" work and body blushing on one of my future Obitsu girls, but she would wear a lot of dark clothes, which I know are prone to staining these dolls who themselves are prone to staining in general. I'm thinking again removing products like the one from Twin Pines will probably also remove the color from her "tattoos", but I wouldn't know since I've never used it?

Does anybody have any advice on what I should do? I know there's really no way around stains on Obitsus, and I'm okay with that. But does anybody know how MSC reacts with Obitsus specifically, or how the Twin Pines stain remover reacts to MSC on top of vinyl, or if it will damage pigment from water color pencils and acrylic paint? I'm new to vinyl doll bodies in general. I've only ever worked with hard plastic bodies.
Kattriella
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Re: Vinyl Obitsu Bodies, MSC, and Stain Removers?

Postby Kd_Bunchanumbers » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:15 pm

For me, MSC works fine on Obitsu bodies, you just got to be very light handed with layers (like soft mistings instead of noticeable coats of spray) since it is a bit trickier on vinyl.

With an MSC coating I notice *my* dolls don't get their vinyl stained but rather MSC tends to soak it, so I just remove the layer of MSC with a Magic Eraser to get rid of the stain. But, I notice MSC picks up stains a lot more easily than it would on otherwise non porous surfaces (like ABS plastic), so if you're hoping to do tattoo work and make the doll wear dark clothing it *will* stain the tattoo itself and will damage it trying to remove it.
Kd_Bunchanumbers
the walls have dolliehs

Re: Vinyl Obitsu Bodies, MSC, and Stain Removers?

Postby Kattriella » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:50 pm

I think I can get away with giving her open-backed shirts and dresses (the tattoo will go on her back), since I want to show off her tattoo anyway, and most of her clothes will be handmade, since she'll be on a 23cm Obitsu and most ready made clothes don't fit those dolls, so I can always line her clothes with a white material. I also ALWAYS undress my dolls who wear dark clothes after a photoshoot. (Made that mistake ONE TIME and very stupidly stored the doll in the same box with all the others. That jacket stained LITERALLY EVERYTHING. Even after having washed it THREE TIMES. It took me weeks to get all the stains off everyone's faces and legs because I had to use acne cream because I didn't know about the Twin Pines remover yet.)

I guess it's like anything else uncertain in the doll world. You just have to try it and hope for the best. And if things go completely wrong and I ruin her body beyond repair, well, at least JunkySpot sells replacements? At least the other girl is going in lots of pale pastel pinks and premade Barbie clothes, so maybe she'll fair a little better in the staining department. As for the boys . . . We'll just have to see how things go. Good to know the MSC is at least somewhat of a deterrent, though.
Kattriella
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Care & Maintenance