Go to footer

1/6 hair washing/wig cleaning

Cleaning, fixing, stain prevention etc... Share your knowledge of what to do and what NOT to do.

1/6 hair washing/wig cleaning

Postby Greyhaunt » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:20 am

I did a lot of looking into this stuff and what I found is that lots of people say "Use Shampoo", but here is the catch: doll hair isn't real hair! It doesn't need Vitamin E, Aloe, and all that other stuff that comes in shampoo - and if you use it often times what you get is a residue that starts to gather dirt (yes, experience talking).

Eventually I ran across the following tip that has worked wonders for my old Jenny dolls and such: Dishwashing liquid and fabric softener!

Dishwashing liquid, like Dawn, will clean the fibers of your doll's hair/wig and not leave residue on it. If the wig/hair is extremely tangled and messy, soak it in fabric softener or woolite for a while and it will help detangle and act like a conditioner. DON'T use dollar store fabric softener - it can be nasty and leave residue as well as a disgusting smell (yes, once again this is experience speaking). For the sake of your doll, buy something good!

For static control gently rub a dryer sheet on the hair/wig. When I'm rooting a 1/6 scale head I actually wrap my rooting hair in a dryer sheet so it doesn't build up static as i work. Mind you I live in a very dry climate - those in a more humid area may not have that problem LOL
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Re: 1/6 hair washing/wig cleaning

Postby embyquinn » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:26 pm

This treatment works extremely well for the Moxie Teenz wigs. They felt nasty and greasy till I gave them the Dawn-and-Downy-Dunk treatment. Now they're soft and silky and wonderful, YaY!

I second the statement about not using human products on doll hair. As much as we love them, dolls are not humans. The products in human shampoo are not beneficial to doll hair and can even cause harm over time.

Liquid laundry detergent also gives great results when washing doll hair, especially used in conjunction with a good fabric softener.
"Dolls love to be played with. They are lonesome if you leave them always in a box. How would you like to be left day after day alone, with no one to love you?"
embyquinn
the walls have dolliehs

Postby hlbmlp » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:45 pm

ive always just used cheap shampoo and conditioner...actually started using it myself because of how nice the hair looks....and have been using it for many many years... suave or dollar store cocoanut. I wash the hair then take the conditioner and run a bit through the hair, and gently comb through while it is under the tap. I leave a little of the conditioner in. The coconut oil helps keep the hair shiney, non staticy ,and tangle free, and is a natural detangler. I have used this method for about 10 years starting on my My little Ponies while in grade school and have never found a match for any kind of doll hair. The conditioner also helps when styling also! I've never had a problem with it building up residue, maybe because the cheap stuff doesn't have any of that "nice' stuff in it besides the coconut?!
might not be best for your uses, but I love it!
^__^
hlbmlp
i see dead dolliehs

Postby kurosu.chan » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:48 pm

Would baking soda in water work? It cleans really well, and it can even be used on human hair to keep hair clean cheaply (even if you dye your hair neon blue, it won't take the color out!)...no chemicals!
kurosu.chan
the walls have dolliehs

Postby AlmySidaKay » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:57 pm

Greyhaunt wrote:For static control gently rub a dryer sheet on the hair/wig. When I'm rooting a 1/6 scale head I actually wrap my rooting hair in a dryer sheet so it doesn't build up static as i work. Mind you I live in a very dry climate - those in a more humid area may not have that problem LOL

This, right here, works soooooo awesome!
A hobby isn't supposed to leave you wistful, regretful and vaguely disappointed. BJD collecting is as customizable as the dolls themselves. Do whatever pleases you the most, because otherwise, why do it at all? All for the 'Gram Bitches love the 'Gram.
AlmySidaKay
Keeper of Unicorns, Rainbows and Happy Things

Postby Tygra_Beaumont » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:05 pm

I was wondering if anyone knew how to restore or deal with frizzy doll hair.
Hair iron seems to have damaged the doll hair ("just" the bangs). It doesn't seem melted, but it's definitely very frizzy. And shampoo + conditioner didn't help.

Is there any product or method that can help restore it, without resorting to wig or rerooting?

Have you had to deal with this kind of issue and if yes how were you able to solve it?

Many thanks for any advice you can provide!
Tygra_Beaumont

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Care & Maintenance