Go to footer

Washing Knit Doll Clothes to Prevent Stains

Cleaning, fixing, stain prevention etc... Share your knowledge of what to do and what NOT to do.

Washing Knit Doll Clothes to Prevent Stains

Postby fleacollar999 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:22 pm

Hey!

I'm getting my pukipuki pukisha hopefully tomorrow, probably Thursday, and my roommate and I have been knitting clothes for her. Some of these clothes are dark, however, and I'd like to wash them really well to (attempt to) prevent staining. What should I use to wash them? How long should I wash them? Etc.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
fleacollar999.deviantart.com

Lourdes- 27cm Obitsu
Clara- 27cm Obitsu
Emma- Liv
Antigone (Tigs)- Hujoo Berry
Nissh- Pukipuki Pukisha
Rhode "Pyxy" Maxwell- BBB Rachel on RS Xue body
Roshana Sa'adat- Desert Jewelz Bratz
fleacollar999
Dolly Pardon

Re: Washing Knit Doll Clothes to Prevent Stains

Postby Greyhaunt » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:58 pm

Well, to a certain extent the washing care depends on the type of yarn you used, but unless it is wool I would wash it like this.

1. In your bathroom or kitchen, have some laundry detergent next to you and run tap until water comes out pretty hot.
2. Wet clothing in water then dip fingers in detergent and gently hand wash item. If the dye is going to run you will know pretty darn fast as the hot water and detergent start bringing out the "loose" dye.
3. Rinse out detergent and keep repeating step 2 until you are no longer seeing discoloration of the water/suds when you wash. Do not be discouraged if it takes a while - I had some purple silk that was so impregnated with dye it took almost 20 minutes of washing to reach a point where the water wasn't colored anymore - and the silk is still purple :)
4. Dry as appropriate for the fabric/yarn being used. I usually roll dry in a towel for my delicate stuff.
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby fleacollar999 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:23 pm

Awesome, thank you! I shall have to ask my roommate what the yarn was made of. And ask to borrow her laundry detergent! (I go to school in my hometown so I take my laundry home to wash it, hence the having no detergent)
fleacollar999.deviantart.com

Lourdes- 27cm Obitsu
Clara- 27cm Obitsu
Emma- Liv
Antigone (Tigs)- Hujoo Berry
Nissh- Pukipuki Pukisha
Rhode "Pyxy" Maxwell- BBB Rachel on RS Xue body
Roshana Sa'adat- Desert Jewelz Bratz
fleacollar999
Dolly Pardon

Postby Greyhaunt » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:04 pm

fleacollar999 wrote:Awesome, thank you! I shall have to ask my roommate what the yarn was made of. And ask to borrow her laundry detergent! (I go to school in my hometown so I take my laundry home to wash it, hence the having no detergent)

Liquid hand soap works too - I got lazy and took a piece into the shower with me the other day and used mine - had a tub full of lavendar water by the time I was done LOL.
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Care & Maintenance