Go to footer

vinyl/plastic mold

Cleaning, fixing, stain prevention etc... Share your knowledge of what to do and what NOT to do.

vinyl/plastic mold

Postby kittyasauras » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:47 am

I got a couple of SSC in a grab bag the other day, but they've got a bit of mold on them. Or in them I guess. It's in the vinyl.

I really hate to chuck them but is there anyway to kill the mold and remove it?
https://www.etsy.com/shop/FawnFeathers <-----ETSY~! dollieh clothes and what-nots
kittyasauras
the walls have dolliehs

Re: vinyl/plastic mold

Postby K2! » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:27 pm

I don't know how "vinyl safe" it is but bleach does a pretty good job of killin' stuff. Maybe try a 10% solution (1 part bleach to 9 parts water) on a small hidden area to test the vinyl's reaction.

By the way, what's an SSC? I'm not up on many non-NASA acronyms.
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby kittyasauras » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:02 pm

oh sorry! xD It's Strawberry ShortCake!

I might try bleach or vinegar on one of the more damaged ones. She has mold freckles!

I was also looking online and found out that companies make mold and mildew remover for vinyl on boats. I'm seriously wondering if that will work. I've heard of people using armorall on their figures...why not boat cleaner too?
https://www.etsy.com/shop/FawnFeathers <-----ETSY~! dollieh clothes and what-nots
kittyasauras
the walls have dolliehs

Postby kurosu.chan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:21 pm

I know 2% bleach is safe to use for killing algae on aquarium plants. It's corrosive stuff, so I'd start as low as you can.
kurosu.chan
the walls have dolliehs

Postby hlbmlp » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:28 pm

i've used mold remover for bathroom grout and a toothbrush on my little ponies and strawberry short cakes. It helps and its not as noticeable, but i have never gotten it to go away completely. It just stops or slows the process down. I've found that the mold actually stains the plastic which is very sad. I hope you can get them clean! I agree it would be a shame to have to toss them!
hlbmlp
i see dead dolliehs

Postby EAB » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:40 pm

If I were you, I'd google Twin Pines of Maine and see what they have. The man who makes the products is a chemist, and he invented all these things for dolls, especially vinyl, because his wife is a collector. It's totally safe, and does an excellent job.
EAB
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby SillyLilPuppet » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:01 pm

I know this is old but figured I'd post it for anyone else searching this. Two other methods for killing the mold are using Oxyclean or similar and boiling it in a pot of water for ten minutes. You can even combine the two if you want to make sure its absolutely gone. Thats what I usually use on things that aren't bleach-safe, and its worked perfectly so far.
<>My Tumblr<>My Etsy<>Come chat!<>
Too many dolls, I give up.
SillyLilPuppet
Dolly Pardon

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Care & Maintenance