Go to footer

Stabilizer & Joint Issues (Resin)

Cleaning, fixing, stain prevention etc... Share your knowledge of what to do and what NOT to do.

Re: Stabilizer & Joint Issues (Resin)

Postby landwhale » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:10 pm

I would say use 2 part 5 minute epoxy. You can find it in a hardware store. It's permanent and toxic but as long as you wear gloves and you don't ingest it you should be fine. The stuff is permanent though so you have to be careful but it comes in clear. I used the same on my CH dolls with stabilizers.

Something like this: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM2379211802P?sid=IDx20070921x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=SPM215718891
Obitsu 27cm Meryl, Lilly, Rhea, Stacey, Llywen, Lara, Aili
BJD Peyton (Non-official sculpt Happy D.I.M.), Un-named FL Chicline Lishe
RS/BBB Li(Ziili), Wu(Ba'ul), Yao. DikaDoll Rena(Lael)
CH Bisou Pepe (Charlie), CH Junior Ren (Allen), Obitsu 60cm Gretel (Cerise)
http://invie-alamode.blogspot.com/
landwhale
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Neko Sandy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:10 am

landwhale, I'm really hoping to avoid using anything that will take a long time to cure (minutes vs seconds) because that would probably mean unstringing the doll since he's so tightly strung. That's why I'm leaning toward trying the Gorrilla Glue superglue that K2 suggested as a first try. However if that doesn't work, unstringing and using an epoxy (or something similar) is probably going to be my next step.

K2, I'm probably going to try dropping some of the glue on the stabilizer in a safe place so that I can test how it reacts. If the stabilizer suddenly and catastrophically explodes, we'll then know Gorrilla Glue doesn't like dollie resin. :lol:

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I'm so glad to have some stuff to go try now instead of just looking at them and going, well shi... Now what?
Image Image <---Is there...something...in the darkness?---> Image Image
Neko Sandy
i see dead dolliehs

Postby Yanagi-sen » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:33 am

Just to let you know... I use the 2 part 5 min epoxy all the time to repair broken ceramic projects for the students. But I can see that unstringing might be necessary considering where you have to fix. I hope you find something that works. *hugs*
Yanagi-sen
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Neko Sandy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:11 am

Thanks Yannie! *hugs* If it comes to me using epoxy, I'll probably hit you up for a few tips. I hope that's okay.
Neko Sandy
i see dead dolliehs

Postby SetsunaKou » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:35 am

Hi Sandy san!! :hugs:

I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles!!!! :hugs again: Hope you'll be back on your feet soon!!!!

Anyway, for this resin----same thing happened to my new DZ 65cm boy----I bought him on the DoA marketplace and when I received him, his stabilizer piece was loose! I used zap-a-gap (a LOT) on him and it's seemed to work.

However, landwhale-san is right-----if the zap-a-gap didn't stay or doesn't stay in future, I use epoxie ALL the time. And you won't have to unstring him at all! I've done epoxy repairs just like that without unstringing the dolls.

Just hold him opened up and keep him that way, exposing the inside, and making sure the stabilizer stays in place for a few minutes. It's not hard, just play a song or two, until it hardens, while you hold him opened up. No unstringing required!
And if you don't like to wait 5 minutes, they do have 60 second epoxy now, which I've used on resin models and it works very well, too! (But, just so you know, the 5 minute is a bit stronger, from the packaging notes.)
But I use the 5 min epoxy EVERY day (not kidding) on a project or other and it's really easy to use and you won't need to unstring him. It will work just like the zap-a-gap, just take a little longer to dry/harden.

It's really strong, though and particularly so if you 'scratch up' the parts to be joined together, to give the glue something to 'grab' onto. (The inside of the pieces where the glue will touch together.)

Anyway, good luck on him!!! :hugs:

~Setsuna
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Neko Sandy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:16 pm

Thanks for another vote of confidence toward the epoxy, SetsunaKou. Whenever I finally get the money to get something to fix them, I am starting to think I'm going to go straight for the epoxy since so many people seem to think it would work best. And I'll probably go for the long drying too. I want the fix to stay the first time, so it just makes sense to go for the good stuff right off the bat! *nodnod*
Neko Sandy
i see dead dolliehs

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Care & Maintenance