Go to footer

Vintage Ladies Restoration (vinyl)

Cleaning, fixing, stain prevention etc... Share your knowledge of what to do and what NOT to do.

Vintage Ladies Restoration (vinyl)

Postby cowpewter » Fri May 04, 2012 6:59 pm

I hope this is the right forum section for a thread like this. Last weekend I found these two lovely ladies in one of my local thrift stores:

They're high-heeled vintage fashion dolls, 20" tall, from either the 1950s or 60s. Only one of them had a price tag, and when I asked if they were both the same price, the lady said that they'd been on the shelf so long that they were 50% off. So I brought the pair of them home for <$16.

They were absolutely filthy, their vinyl stained (it looks like horrible bruises!), but I plan to restore them and make them gorgeous ladies once again. I wanted to make a thread to document the process.

So please meet Evie:

And Hazel:

The first thing to do was clean them. I carefully removed their clothes. The metal of the snaps had all corroded green, and the threads holding the snaps on just fell apart. I handwashed their clothes very thoroughly with woolite and oxyclean, but the fabric is still so delicate that I don't think I feel safe redressing them. I will use their original clothes to base patterns on to make replicas and keep the original clothes somewhere safe.

The ladies themselves got scrubbed down with hot water and Dawn and an old toothbrush. They both have very bad stains from their clothes. Evie's red capris made a mess of her legs, and the black trim on Hazel's dress left marks on her back. Hazel was also strangely yellowed/pale under her bra, and her thighs were strangely discolored too. Her petticoat was almost stuck to her...I think it might be migrated plasticizer from her vinyl. They both have green ear, though neither was wearing earrings when I purchased them.

Even after scrubbing, their eyes were still very pale. I though maybe the color was just permanently faded, but I read online somewhere that you could restore clouded sleep eyes by blowing on them with a hot hair dryer for 5-10 minutes. I tried it, and to my great surprise it worked! This pic shows Hazel after being treated to the hair dryer, and Evie who has only had the toothbrush scrubbing:

Also you might notice that Evie's eyebrows are different! Originally she had heavier, uneven brows, but while I was cleaning them, those came off and she had neatly painted brows exactly like Hazel's underneath.

Evie eyes have gotten the hair dryer treatment as well, and now the ladies are sunning themselves on my back porch with Oxy cream on their stains. It might be a while until the next update, because I don't know how long that stain removal is going to take.

Anyway, I hope you like my new girls! They're going to be a lot of work, but I think they will be beautiful.
cowpewter

Re: Vintage Ladies Restoration (vinyl)

Postby MrKaffiend » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:06 pm

Awesome!! I love thrift store finds!! Before my first doll arrived, I found a couple antiquey dolls at a thrift store myself. You did such a wonderful job cleaning them up! They are lucky to have found a great home and someone who will return them to their former glory!! ^^

You've totally inspired me to get those old dolls out again... I think I may try repainting mine! :D And some new clothes will be in order!

Looking forward to seeing progress on this! They are really lovely dolls. c:
The Gang @ Home:
Chorus -- Luts MiniFee Chiwoo; Narcissus -- Luts MiniFee Chiwoo Sleeping head; Elby -- Unoa L-bi; Enn -- Blue Fairy BW Tommy on Blossom body

Selling:
Blue Fairy beauty white Blossom MSD body
http://dolliehsanctuary.com/sanctuary/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=5917
WANT!!
IslandDoll small bust MSD body, Island tone
MrKaffiend
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby magkelly » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:48 am

Using a bit of glossy sealer on those eyes might bring them back to looking as they did when the doll was new. My Kitty Collier did that and someone told me that trick but it still didn't make them look like real glass eyes. They were too dried out. Putting a bit of glossy sealer on them though made her eyes look factory again. I think they go dull because the sealer on the plastic eventually dries and dehydrates off. Put a little sealer back on and it can make them look really nice again.
magkelly
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby EAB » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:14 am

Twin Pines of Maine has a product that takes that stuff off eyes, and they also have an amazing product for restoring old fabric. Take a look at their website. They were originally started to restore 50s dolls.
EAB
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby IssaRissa » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:08 am

That's amazing! I can't believe that hair dryer trick worked!! 0.0 I can't wait to see more progress photos!
IssaRissa~<3
IssaRissa
i see dead dolliehs

Postby SugarCorpse » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:26 pm

=o oh my! i cant wait to see what you do with them!!! good luck!!
SugarCorpse
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby zirconmermaid » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:47 am

Junkyspot carries the TwinPines stuff for cleaning vinyl - you want to get Formula911 and RemoveZit. They also have the clothes cleaning products.
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Care & Maintenance