Go to footer

Resin for casting?

Cleaning, fixing, stain prevention etc... Share your knowledge of what to do and what NOT to do.

Resin for casting?

Postby Brainmatter » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:42 pm

Has anyone had any experience with which type of resin to use when casting a bjd? I've used Amazing casting resin in white, and if given MSC it'd work, I think.
Brainmatter
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Re: Resin for casting?

Postby zirconmermaid » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:23 pm

Alumilite resin is good, and matches BBB/RS white. We also use a standard two part resin that matches Dollzone white. More important is what you use for the mold, and whether you are using pressure or not. You need to use a mask when casting - the full face canister variety rated for resin. Until cured, resin fumes are very bad for you and will destroy brain cells - and you do like your short term memory!
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby Brainmatter » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:51 am

zirconmermaid wrote:Alumilite resin is good, and matches BBB/RS white. We also use a standard two part resin that matches Dollzone white. More important is what you use for the mold, and whether you are using pressure or not. You need to use a mask when casting - the full face canister variety rated for resin. Until cured, resin fumes are very bad for you and will destroy brain cells - and you do like your short term memory!

I'd of course be using proper protection. I'd only be using as much pressure as rubberbands provide on a two-part mold.
Brainmatter
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Postby zirconmermaid » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:17 pm

By pressure casting I meant a compressor and modified paint pot. The other resin we use is Polyurethane (Isocyanate) 80331 parts A and B from Sterling Supply in Minneapolis, 459 Harding St NE Minneapolis, MN 55413
(612) 331-5125. They do mail order. In fact, Kiki-chan78 gets her Alumilite from them too! They sell the mold compound too.
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Care & Maintenance