Go to footer

How long until staining appears?

Cleaning, fixing, stain prevention etc... Share your knowledge of what to do and what NOT to do.

Re: How long until staining appears?

Postby Yanagi-sen » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:34 am

Fallen-AngelGirl wrote:If you dont mind me asking, how long have you had the dolls that you mentioned were yellowing?
Yeah, I've gotten used to the idea of yellowing. I want to help prevent it, but definitely not to the point of not being able to have fun with them. That's what I care about the most. I wouldn't want to remember them for the crazy paranoia I went thought protecting them from the inevitable Lol

Nagi (DZ Shoyo head on AOD boy body) is 5 years old
Momiji (Luts KDelf Ani) is 4
Riou (BBB Espree boy) is 4
Touda (DZ Leo) is 4
Morrighan (obitsu 27 cm) is 3
Kentarou (obitsu 11 cm) is 2
Toushirou (Luts KDelf Hodoo) is 3 maybe (he is second hand and I'm not positive when Neko Sandy got him)

Nagi and Momiji have both taken trips to Europe with me. Momiji even toured Versailles! EVERYONE comes with me to conventions. I've taken them camping and carried them around festivals in a basket. They sometimes come to school with me and have been handled by many students (everyone who holds them knows the number one rule is DON'T TOUCH THE FACE). As you can see, I don't just keep them on a shelf and admire them from afar. ^__^
Yanagi-sen
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Fallen-AngelGirl » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:09 pm

wow, it seems like they're doing great. And I'm guessing you don't just keep them in the boxes right?
I was considering to try and make some clothes out of some of my old stuff but I've never heard of that wrap method, I'll think I'll try it on my doll when her black denim leggings get here, especially since I won't be keeping her in all white because I'd Like to always have her on display.
Fallen-AngelGirl
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Postby zirconmermaid » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:34 pm

None of my dolls live in boxes, they all stay out, mostly in the living room on a chair. Of the vinyl ones, some are mostly or totally stain free, others (Hazel) play hard and get out into everything including grass and mud and have stains. Alerich is actually physically older than Hazel, and he is stain free (unless he's managed to stain recently) and he is wearing dark clothing.

Of the resin kids, some have yellowed. Elidor started out normal yellow and is a lovely creamy butter shade now that I love. He has not stained at all! Actually, I don't believe any of the resin has stained. I do clean them, and occasional stubborn soil has gotten the Magic Eraser. Usually baby shampoo and water to get rid of normal dust has cleaned them perfectly. If they need restringing, then I try to give them a inside and out cleaning.

I have several Hujoo Action dolls, and they don't seem to have either staining or yellowing. I have become very fond of the company, and love the new kitties that Junkyspot has produced!

Restringing is normal - among antique dolls every five years is normal. It depends on the elastic and the weight of the doll.

I may have mentioned this already, but I look at the stains as normal. With Hazel, it means I am not afraid to play with her. Some of the stains have memories attached to them, other stains are the absorption of my skin oil by her vinyl. Mostly on her arms. I try to have clean hands, but she does outdoor photoshoots and goes to outdoor events that last all day. After 7 years, it builds up. I have thought about replacement, but I didn't get her as a "shelf doll", just to look at. I got her as my dream play doll, and so she is. It isn't too obvious in photographs and I just don't mind it that much. It is a personal preference. I do have the Remove-zit and Formula 911, and it works amazingly well on vinyl. I just don't feel like doing her entire arm pieces and not having her in playable condition for the several days to a week that it would take. On the other hand, if it was one of my Obitsu fullsets, I probably would use them!
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby Yanagi-sen » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:23 pm

Fallen-AngelGirl wrote:wow, it seems like they're doing great. And I'm guessing you don't just keep them in the boxes right?
I was considering to try and make some clothes out of some of my old stuff but I've never heard of that wrap method, I'll think I'll try it on my doll when her black denim leggings get here, especially since I won't be keeping her in all white because I'd Like to always have her on display.

If I put them in boxes, I think they'd kill me. I have most of their boxes, in case I really have to pack them up and ship them, but that's the only reason I have them. I have one of those stackable wire cube units, I call it the dollieh apartment; Nagi and Riou have the top floor penthouse, Momiji and Toushirou share the next apartment down, and Touda and Kentarou are on the third level, the bottom is for all of Momiji's clothing. I have a Dollmore carrier, designed for 1 MSD, but I put all four in there and the tinies and my cell phone, money, and passport for flying. ^__^ I count it as my 'personal item' and it just fits under the seat in front of me on the plane.
Yanagi-sen
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Fallen-AngelGirl » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:30 pm

Those stackable wire cubes are a really great idea. And do you keep them in a room with windows?
I've heard of people that keep their dolls in closets and stuff and I think it would be a bit said to keep dolls in a stuffy closet :(
They make it seem as if windows are some kind of evil force that makes dolls explode D:
Fallen-AngelGirl
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Postby Yanagi-sen » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:39 pm

Fallen-AngelGirl wrote:Those stackable wire cubes are a really great idea. And do you keep them in a room with windows?
I've heard of people that keep their dolls in closets and stuff and I think it would be a bit said to keep dolls in a stuffy closet :(
They make it seem as if windows are some kind of evil force that makes dolls explode D:

The dolls are up in my loft, I have a log house, there is only a small window and a tiny skylight up here. Actually the lighting sucks for photography. The wall the cube unit is against NEVER gets direct sunlight. So as long as you have a corner somewhere that never gets direct sun, you should be good. ^__^
Yanagi-sen
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Fallen-AngelGirl » Wed May 01, 2013 3:07 pm

That's good to know :) I knew that you shouldn't keep resin dolls in direct sunlight but I had always wondered if keeping them out would be a problem. Based on peoples comments I'm really starting to get a sense that it's not as bad as I thought it was. At first I used to think that even if indirect sunlight touches a doll it'll turn yellow in a matter of weeks :p
Fallen-AngelGirl
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Postby Siead » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:48 am

i know, i know, necro-bump.
just wanted to post about the sunlight thing.
we have these cellular-blinds in the room that i keep dolls in, meant to be room darkening. except for the thin seams of light where they don't touch the window sill, they block out everything. our rooms can be near pitch black in daytime.
which i love because i never have to put my dolls away, just make sure to keep the blinds down when i'm not in the room. :)
https://twitter.com/SieadAitGR is the central hub for all my hobby blog/vlogging.
Siead
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Greyhaunt » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:30 pm

Necro posting is ok when you are adding new knowledge to a thread like this :)

Although I have to say, even with no sunlight, resin yellows. My poor white skin DZ and AoD dolls are both cream colored now :( I miss the days when they were white.
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby Siead » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:18 am

yeah, my white bobobie body is mellowed enough that i'm gonna have to strip and re-paint the head to match. le sigh.
i like the new cream colour, matches her body paint better. but it's just a pita to redo a whole head.
https://twitter.com/SieadAitGR is the central hub for all my hobby blog/vlogging.
Siead
the walls have dolliehs

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Care & Maintenance