Go to footer

How long until staining appears?

Cleaning, fixing, stain prevention etc... Share your knowledge of what to do and what NOT to do.

How long until staining appears?

Postby Fallen-AngelGirl » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:41 pm

I always wondered, how long can a resin BJD wear dark clothes until it starts staining? I'd like to hear about anyones experiences or advice :) .
Fallen-AngelGirl
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Re: How long until staining appears?

Postby Yanagi-sen » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:20 pm

Really depends on the doll, the fabric, how much contact there really is, how often the doll is handled, etc. Some seem to resist staining, others just LOOK at a dark fabric and develop a stain. I try to keep my white skin BBB in white for his first layer, but really staining is going to happen eventually, it's a part of the hobby.
Yanagi-sen
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Greyhaunt » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:47 pm

In all honestly, I've almost never had staining on my resin dolls, and the extremely rare time it has happened a little rubbing with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser took care of it.

Now vinyl, on the other hand, stains if it just gets within inches of a dark fabric ><
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby Fallen-AngelGirl » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:44 pm

Greyhaunt wrote:In all honestly, I've almost never had staining on my resin dolls, and the extremely rare time it has happened a little rubbing with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser took care of it.

Now vinyl, on the other hand, stains if it just gets within inches of a dark fabric ><

Have you had experience with vinyl staining? To be really honest I thought that resin dolls were the only (and sadly worst T_T) dolls with fabric staining.
Fallen-AngelGirl
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Postby Yanagi-sen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:58 pm

Fallen-AngelGirl wrote:
Greyhaunt wrote:In all honestly, I've almost never had staining on my resin dolls, and the extremely rare time it has happened a little rubbing with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser took care of it.

Have you had experience with vinyl staining? To be really honest I thought that resin dolls were the only (and sadly worst T_T) dolls with fabric staining.

Some vinyls seem to stain if they are in the same room as dark fabric. I swear Kiki-chan's Omi could stain in an all-white outfit!
Yanagi-sen
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Greyhaunt » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:43 pm

Fallen-AngelGirl wrote:

Oh man, resin is NOTHING when it comes to staining. I can only think of one or two times I've had minor staining on a resin doll, but vinyl....groan.....I swear to you that I put a dress on one of my dolls recently and just from the fabric rubbing against her while being pulled on, it stained red on bits of her legs >< On another doll a pair of black stockings that I THOUGHT were safe, were actually brand new unwashed ones. They were on her for seconds and stained her badly.

On the positive side, you can remove stains from vinyl, but you need to buy this stuff called Remove-zit from a company called Twin Pines (or from Junkyspot who now carries it). It smells aweful and takes about 24hrs, but it will remove stains from the soft vinyl parts. NEVER use on hard plastic - it will melt it (I learned this the hard way).
Greyhaunt

Postby Fallen-AngelGirl » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:31 pm

Greyhaunt wrote:
Fallen-AngelGirl wrote:

Oh man, resin is NOTHING when it comes to staining. I can only think of one or two times I've had minor staining on a resin doll, but vinyl....groan.....I swear to you that I put a dress on one of my dolls recently and just from the fabric rubbing against her while being pulled on, it stained red on bits of her legs >< On another doll a pair of black stockings that I THOUGHT were safe, were actually brand new unwashed ones. They were on her for seconds and stained her badly.

On the positive side, you can remove stains from vinyl, but you need to buy this stuff called Remove-zit from a company called Twin Pines (or from Junkyspot who now carries it). It smells aweful and takes about 24hrs, but it will remove stains from the soft vinyl parts. NEVER use on hard plastic - it will melt it (I learned this the hard way).

OUCH! And I thought that resin dolls were the delicate little ones. I just hope that most resins are the same. My doll is from LUTS and I would hate for her to be the odd one that gets staining against all odds -_-
But I guess the one good thing about vinyl is that it doesn't yellow am I right?
Fallen-AngelGirl
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Postby Yanagi-sen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:41 pm

Fallen-AngelGirl wrote:OUCH! And I thought that resin dolls were the delicate little ones. I just hope that most resins are the same. My doll is from LUTS and I would hate for her to be the odd one that gets staining against all odds -_-
But I guess the one good thing about vinyl is that it doesn't yellow am I right?

Vinyl doesn't yellow, even in direct sunlight. But yeah, staining is likely. I myself have mostly resin and I keep them out of direct sunlight unless actually taking pictures. But even with precautions they will yellow overtime. My white BBB is more of a cream now. I have two Luts KDelfs and the one is slightly yellowing on his arms, he likes sleeveless stuff. But like the staining, it's part of the hobby and we love them regardless. ^__^
Yanagi-sen
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Fallen-AngelGirl » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:02 pm

Yanagi-sen wrote:
Fallen-AngelGirl wrote:OUCH! And I thought that resin dolls were the delicate little ones. I just hope that most resins are the same. My doll is from LUTS and I would hate for her to be the odd one that gets staining against all odds -_-

Vinyl doesn't yellow, even in direct sunlight. But yeah, staining is likely. I myself have mostly resin and I keep them out of direct sunlight unless actually taking pictures. But even with precautions they will yellow overtime. My white BBB is more of a cream now. I have two Luts KDelfs and the one is slightly yellowing on his arms, he likes sleeveless stuff. But like the staining, it's part of the hobby and we love them regardless. ^__^

If you dont mind me asking, how long have you had the dolls that you mentioned were yellowing?
Yeah, I've gotten used to the idea of yellowing. I want to help prevent it, but definitely not to the point of not being able to have fun with them. That's what I care about the most. I wouldn't want to remember them for the crazy paranoia I went thought protecting them from the inevitable Lol
Fallen-AngelGirl
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Postby Greyhaunt » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:42 pm

Two of my first resin dolls were a white Dollzone Xi and a white Angel of Dream Rao. I got both of them in 2006 and at this point both of them are a lovely cream color - not even remotely white. On the other hand, my white Pipos Baha is still pretty much white. I expect it depends on the resin quality and other factors as to how quickly/slowly the yellowing developes.

You can always help lower the odds of staining by making/buying a white bodysuit for your doll - or white underwear if you will. I've also read somewhere a person wrapping saran wrap around parts of their doll to prevent staining. I haven't tried that one, though it makes sense.

But like I said in the other thread about vinegar, just take the precaution of washing dark clothing by hand until the water runs clear and you should be fine. Just be sure you are using detergent because without it the dye won't necessarily come out (experience speaking).

Another way to prevent staining is to make your doll clothing out of second-hand fabric. In other words, make it out of shirts/pants that have already been worn and washed many times by you! It's a fun way to recycle and have unique clothing.
Greyhaunt

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Care & Maintenance